Photo comparison - Java, Freedom Ranger, CX carcasses

Do you have a pic of your RR to compare to the FR you pictured?
Not yet! They're still 'on the hock' so to speak.....processing day in likely about 2wks, as we like bigger birds here - teen boys to feed!

The comparison won't be ideal, as I've raised the RR's in the deep of winter - where the FR's I've raised in the heat of mid summer and the very very cool of late fall (the one pictured was a very very cold wet fall that went immediately into winter). This batch has endured -40 degree temps and hasn't really wanted to be outdoors until just this last week (they're 9wks old). It's been too darn cold! Can't blame 'em! I'd rather hang in the coop as well!

When one is processed, I'll edit original post to fit it in with the others. Good luck! We like the taste of Rangers better than Cornish, although Cornish has it's place - great for grilling!

I think I'm gonna try the RR this year since they don't have the health issues of the CX. I want something that doesn't just saddle up on the feeder all day. I know you're not supposed to hatch off the CX eggs, is that true with the RR also?

I've heard of folks who've raised Rangers in multi-generation set-ups. If I can recall properly, the hens are decent layers - not excellent, but decent - but an incubator or a different broody strain is required, as they haven't shown interest in sitting. And some folks that I've seen post on here have good success with the next few generations.....

I choose not to go that route, as the birds are such heavy feeders. I think if I had separated a few just after receiving them and fed them regular feed (not high protein feed), they'd act more like a typical chicken and forage well. The batches who could forage were pretty hard on the land (very heavy foragers). But if you can replant those areas, it might work well.

Back
Top Bottom