pic of my two paints

augiedranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
i got my two yr old back from training in dec, boy shes great~ shes actually a reg paint horse. but shes solid bay. i ride her everywhere! im so proud of her. her name is sonnys pere "jazzie" . eagle is her 10yr old pasture mate. he is a barrel horse. but i dont run barrels on him much anymore. hes a pretty boy. his name is good cat eagle "eagle"

hoses.jpg

Really nice looking horses, the paints have always been my favorites. I have 1 paint at this time and he is the one in my Avatar, his name if Faxinating Mr. (Mr for short.)
big_smile.png
Trying to find the right mare for him now also. Not having a lot of luck guess I am to choosy. LOL

Yup, ditto egg-centric.... cute horse! but you are SERIOUSLY compromising her bones and joints by riding at 2. Many, many, many horses are lightly started at 3 and then actually start to be ridden regularly at 3 1/2 or 4...

Have you noticed that many, many of the world's lame pasture pets are QH's/Paints/TB's who were broken early and ridden early? That is why... their joints are overloaded and they are hotspots for arthritis, OCD, cartilage destruction...

FWIW, rule of thumb is number of rides per week and amt of time corresponds to age... 2 y/o would be ridden 2x/week for MAX 20min (including warmup/cool down), 3 y/o 3x/week MAX 30min, etc. Personally the minute rule is skewed (I wouldn't hit 30min with a baby until at least 4 y/o, unless it was just walking, ie trail ride).

Good luck with her, she's cute!
smile.png

thats really good advice. thank you!

i train horses though.. i work at the place i had her at... we do see alot of two yr old coming in. rarely any over 4.. thats weird why everyone wants them to be broke so early.
but on her,, i am giong thru vet school, and work at a vet clinic, and we had her knees and hocks radiographed and shes solid. shes actually really big and developed for her age.

thanks though
and i do ask everyone who brings young horses to do the xray thing for the knees etc. but most people dont do it..

kinda sad.

shes ridden daily. but only about 15 min.

and she is a trail rider. about once a month or twice a month i go on weekend trail rides with her..maybe i should cut back on the trails for a little bit

thanks
erica

TB's and Cutting/reining horse are the most popular with riding too young. That's why you see so many broken down TB's, they've been raced before they should even be ridden. I've seen 4 year olds with severe cases of arthritis due to being ridden hard as a two year old. I've even seen cutting/reining people break their yearlings to ride.

As the old saying goes "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Back
Top Bottom