Pics Showing Differences Between Spaldings and IBs

The thing about spalding is that most people just don't have the experience to recognize spading blood when it is not heavily evident. Sometimes it is not clear. Everyone wants it to be definitive and does not understand that many many gene pairs make a bird blue or green. Spaldings do not breed true. Some get more genes from one or the other. It is true that if you keep breeding spallding to green you increase the number of green traits. It is conversely true that if you breed spading to IB you begin to increase the odds of increasing the number of IB traits.

In your case your bird is definitely a girl. There is no doubt about that. And I am not picking on you here but just stating a known fact. Now take a look at the stuff that just does not look right for a true IB hen. In Thor's case you notice the very bright coloring high on the neck that appears green and blue in the pictures? That is not normal for a true IB. Thus I believe there is some green blood there. I personally would never breed that hen if I wanted true IB birds.

PS, I don't see anything really on the head that says spalding.

Only one crest feather but it's kind of weird coloring it's mix the tip is white with green scattered and brown. I don't know he's kind of the Omega the lowest on the totem pole.

That's the pied, some of my pied have multi colored crest feathers. And I'm sorry I have to say it, but if "he" were a he , he wouldn't be lowest on the totem pole. My 2013 boys are all bossing the 2013 girls around already, none of the boy's are letting any of the hens be dominant over them.

I know there is some info there like the rusty red color breast and sometimes the yellow face, tight crest, darker colors, and speckled breast. I just don't feel like digging through the 119 pages for it since it's scattered across the thread. I'm can identify greens no problem but Spalding with low green blood to IB little harder.

Here two different types of peahen Spalding 50% ( mother IB and father Pavo Muticus muticus ) :

And here is a peahen Spalding 25% ( mother Spalding 50% father IB ).

Thank you. Can IB peahens have blue on their face. I'm no longer wondering on Calypso no doubt about it she's a spalding. Sorry for arguing about Calypso I was wrong about her not being Spalding. No point in arguing that. I just didn't want to admit the fact I was wrong and that she was a Spalding and the person didn't sell me the wrong bird. I like seeing the good side in people and not the bad side and I didn't really want a Spalding. Not sure why I just like Indian peafowl better then Greens and Spalding. I've grown too attached to her though. Reason why I'm asking about IB's having blue is because for the first time my old peahen Jadea all of a sudden got blue on her face this year. Or she got a black eye from getting in a fight with Calypso and Calypso is fighting everybody. Or I'm tripping. There has been no sign of any Green blood from her ever same for Colbolt. This just started happening for the past 2 weeks. At least I can say this crow tastes bad very bad.

Last edited:
Birdrain... when you breed on Spalding's the phenotype does not always come on every bird the same, some show it more than others. If you were to add more green they would start to all looking alike. When you breed some that does not have Spalding it will cut that in half and will look more like a Indian blue. Good luck on your birds .,,live and learn.. connerhills

So those are photos of Colbolt? I *think* India Blue peahens can have a tint of blue to their face and not be spalding, although that is my theory. Right now it seems it is a special time of the year when I see more color on the birds faces than normal. It could be diet, but also from what I have seen their face gets very bright at a certain time of the year.

I didn't want spaldings either, but when I was given free white peachicks, by the time they were old enough for me to tell that they were spaldings, it was too late! I sold one of them but I don't think I would be able to part with the other two. I love them too much! I am always looking at some of my birds and wondering about the bloodlines of them. I am sure I have more low % spaldings than I think. Recently I noticed my pied peahen that I suspect as being a spalding has darker legs. They are med grey when the other peafowl have more of a tanish brown color on their legs. If you look at green peafowl, they have dark grey legs, so this leads me to believe that she is a spalding and so just looking at the legs can give you clues, although with the whites that doesn't work!

I think that the person you got Calypso from might have not even known she was a Spalding. He probably wasn't purposefully selling you the wrong thing. A big issue with peafowl is not everyone knows what spaldings look like or that they don't all look the same. Then they sell them as India Blues or greens and it gets very confusing.
Here is something I wrote when I got frustrated about trying to find pure green peafowl that talks about the issue of confusing spaldings for greens: http://www.bamboopeacock.com/The_Search_for_Green_Peafowl.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom