Pictures of Both Lady & Queenies Foals!!!!!

Yes, I am fully aware that sorrel to sorrel is likely a sorrel.

Not likely. Sorrel to sorrel will always give sorrel base. You can get overo over the sorrel or even something like cream over sorrel (palomino) but you will always get sorrel base.

My Sorrel Overo , 2 blue eyes mare bred to a Grulla QH, If I had bet I would have said Sorrel Overo foal, mare had always thrown Overo even bred to QH in the past. I got a Solid Dun Filly with tons of Dun Factor.

Technically your odds of overo should be 50/50 at best when bred to a QH. It's just odd chance if you get several overos so a solid wasn't odd at all. The sorrel in that case is less likely though. I would have probably guessed bay. A grulla is not sorrel base so it must have carried a recessive red gene. If the grulla was homozygous it would always throw dun which is also dominant so a dun would actually have been my guess anyway.

I took several horse genetics classes in college.​

depends what sort of QH she favors to breed to. If she picks flashy ones with wide blazes, high socks that have irregular edges and white hairs around the tail head she will most likely get as high as 90% color breeding a paint mare to a stud like that. Extra points for blue eyes and white scleras, roany flanks, belly spots and spots in socks, striped hooves, etc... I did NOT take any horse genetics classes in college. I learned my stuff the hard way.

18368_useless_thread.jpg

Quote:
Me too! After all these years of breeding, it is still a guessing game sometimes. I have always said, breed for confirmation and mind, anything else is icing!

Back
Top Bottom