Pigeon Adventures

Pics
Why don’t you let them hatch?
Well, I don’t have the space to both hatch and continue rescuing pigeons, plus I have 8 of them and I don’t feel the need to have any more. XD It’s also surprisingly hard to find pigeons homes, especially if they’re mixed/common breeds like mine are. For instance, most pigeon fanciers would never purposely get a feral pigeon, the breed that makes up half of my flock.

Well, I don’t have the space to both hatch and continue rescuing pigeons, plus I have 8 of them and I don’t feel the need to have any more. XD It’s also surprisingly hard to find pigeons homes, especially if they’re mixed/common breeds like mine are. For instance, most pigeon fanciers would never purposely get a feral pigeon, the breed that makes up half of my flock.
That’s true. The average homing pigeon goes for about 5 dollars at local swaps.

Huh. I would think they would be more expensive, being a rarer breed? I’ve seen proven racers and rarer fancy pigeons being sold for more, I guess for show or as pets if they’re tame enough. Another thing about my pigeons is that the majority of them are untame.

Huh. I would think they would be more expensive, being a rarer breed? I’ve seen proven racers and rarer fancy pigeons being sold for more, I guess for show or as pets if they’re tame enough. Another thing about my pigeons is that the majority of them are untame.
They are quite rare, I guess the owner was trying to get rid of them since it was a swap. Or maybe there is no demand, which is weird because they are such a beautiful breed, imo. Slender and a beautiful butterscotchy color.

:( Buffy died. I think she had canker. I’m sure Bif is really sad. He’s all alone in that big loft now. I didn’t know you were supposed to treat new arrivals for that until it was too late. On Thursday, before she showed symptoms I ordered Trizole. It will arrive tomorrow. Don’t make the same mistake I did! My new pigeon keeping book says: “Many birds carry bad bacteria yet look healthy. All new birds should be wormed, treated for canker and coccidia, and placed on ten days of antibiotics (Baytril or Cipro are good) to get rid of salmonella BEFORE they are put in with the other birds.”
I also learned I wasn’t supposed to take her eggs without replacing with fakes and was suppose to change the water every day due to flagellum like Canker… knowledge is power, I guess. 😭

:( Buffy died. I think she had canker. I’m sure Bif is really sad. He’s all alone in that big loft now. I didn’t know you were supposed to treat new arrivals for that until it was too late. On Thursday, before she showed symptoms I ordered Trizole. It will arrive tomorrow. Don’t make the same mistake I did! My new pigeon keeping book says: “Many birds carry bad bacteria yet look healthy. All new birds should be wormed, treated for canker and coccidia, and placed on ten days of antibiotics (Baytril or Cipro are good) to get rid of salmonella BEFORE they are put in with the other birds.”
I also learned I wasn’t supposed to take her eggs without replacing with fakes and was suppose to change the water every day due to flagellum like Canker… knowledge is power, I guess. 😭
I’m sorry. :(
I haven’t been treating new pigeons for canker, either, so don’t feel bad. I usually treat for lice and worms and check their mouth/throat. Did her breath have a bad odor? That’s another sign of canker.

I’m sorry. :(
I haven’t been treating new pigeons for canker, either, so don’t feel bad. I usually treat for lice and worms and check their mouth/throat. Did her breath have a bad odor? That’s another sign of canker.
I didn’t smell anything. She didn’t have anything in her mouth, but apparently pigeons with canker can have no symptoms. Well, now you have the chance to not the mistake I did.

1B47D051-22A2-4683-BE31-8FEFD2788E4A.jpeg
Handsome RB!

671717D2-2448-4316-A074-72BA4ED85EE2.jpeg
My most recent stringfoot rescue, also a male. Most of the pigeons in my aviary are male right now.

Back
Top Bottom