Pigeon Adventures

Neet Neet, who is definitely not the boss of the aviary but thinks he is. :lol: View attachment 3462910View attachment 3462908

Bagel, one of my newest rescues (she is missing half her beak) has fallen in love with my stringfoot pigeon… which is unfortunate, because I may have found her a home with other pigeons with beak disabilities, and her mate wouldn’t be able to come with her.
(Bagel is the one in the background)View attachment 3462909View attachment 3462907
(Those are fake eggs, I definitely don’t need them reproducing :p )

This one is a newer rescue who amazingly recovered from a massive hole in his crop! However, even though he eats well, whenever I feel his crop it’s small and tight and I can barely feel any seeds, so I don’t think he’s releasable. :hmm
View attachment 3462913(Excuse the messy cage)

I recently had more pigeons than usual in my aviary (a few were rehab pigeons and have been released) and I’m starting to think that 12 is probably the aviary’s limit if I want to avoid overcrowding. So, ideally, I would like to find homes for the newest unreleasables. This is difficult in general, but will be even more so since they are the most unwanted type of pigeon; feral, (slightly) disabled, and untame. Fortunately, I’ll probably be expanding the aviary in a few months, but I also might have even more pigeons by then. 😅
I put Bagel out in the aviary while cleaning her cage and she instantly crouched and let a random male pigeon mate with her!? (The random male being RB.) I’m glad her poor mate wasn’t there to see that, since I put him in after her. :lol:

Also, the pigeon with the huge crop injury may actually be releasable, which I’m pretty excited about! However, she’s a female and also chose my one-eyed male as her mate. :barnie

I put Bagel out in the aviary while cleaning her cage and she instantly crouched and let a random male pigeon mate with her!? (The random male being RB.) I’m glad her poor mate wasn’t there to see that, since I put him in after her. :lol:

Also, the pigeon with the huge crop injury may actually be releasable, which I’m pretty excited about! However, she’s a female and also chose my one-eyed male as her mate. :barnie
Pigeons don’t appear to be able to survive outside of a relationship for 2 minutes.

I recently made a post on a local site about pigeons for adoption (not including Neet Neet, Quin, or Wraith, who are my permanent pigeons). However, instead of rehoming any pigeons, I instead was asked to take on another one. :th

The pigeon is a lonely German owl whose mate was killed by a bird of prey. It appears that the owner has been trying to rehome him for quite a while without success.

I recently made a post on a local site about pigeons for adoption (not including Neet Neet, Quin, or Wraith, who are my permanent pigeons). However, instead of rehoming any pigeons, I instead was asked to take on another one. :th

The pigeon is a lonely German owl whose mate was killed by a bird of prey. It appears that the owner has been trying to rehome him for quite a while without success.
Well, it sounds pretty, at any rate

So because my family moved we adjusted the chicken tractor to make it pigeon compatible.
They like it a lot. I just saw one eat a leaf today. I’ve never seen them eat anything but grain until now. So that’s new. My red bar Pearl likes the ramp in there. For some reason when I locked her into a nest box a month or so ago to try and get her and Harold to think of it as theres she ended up hurting her wing and she still can’t fly. But the ramp means she can use both levels. And lazy Biff and Blondie like to use it so they don’t have to fly. But the amount of wireclimbing they do really highlights the need for a roost. Even Pearl is up there and she can’t even fly.
Shiloh thinks this behavior should be discouraged, apparently
5436BD6C-578F-4D84-9FD7-F63D89B73227.jpeg
BA29AE1E-E1AD-44B2-9350-56FAF0EF49A0.jpeg
C4463A65-5E8E-4379-B318-9C0C97083D6D.jpeg
112813F6-B8B4-4C3B-8EA8-9A1987620BC5.jpeg
4EAC18BD-17DF-4BE6-A791-5AFEDCEEE3C9.jpeg

Attachments

• AB9D8AC5-650F-41B8-8631-6658C41C9C90.jpeg
    AB9D8AC5-650F-41B8-8631-6658C41C9C90.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Trust me, they climb the wire even with plenty of perches. XD
IMG_1222.jpeg

Also, loaf
IMG_1248.jpeg

Oh, I got the german owl pigeon! He’s the meanest bird I’ve ever met, despite the fact that he looks like.. that. :lol:
20230624_133931.jpeg

Trust me, they climb the wire even with plenty of perches. XDView attachment 3577127

Also, loafView attachment 3577128

Oh, I got the german owl pigeon! He’s the meanest bird I’ve ever met, despite the fact that he looks like.. that. :lol: View attachment 3577129
Lol, Biff is mean too.
I wasn’t expecting the males to be so territorial, but it turns out their favorite activity is fighting and cooing, lol. Even the baby pigeon cock has started trumpeting back to Biff.

Lol, Biff is mean too.
I wasn’t expecting the males to be so territorial, but it turns out their favorite activity is fighting and cooing, lol. Even the baby pigeon cock has started trumpeting back to Biff.
Oh, the German owl isn’t mean to other pigeons, he’s mean to me.
At his previous home, he was the last left after his flock was eaten by hawks, so he ended up alone in a room with only a Guinea pig for company for a while. Which probably explains why he bites so much.

But yeah, the males do get fussy, before I had the expanded aviary they were all stressing each other out in the smaller pen. But now they just go to a different perch if someone is bothering them.

Back
Top Bottom