Pigeon Bulletin Board?

Pics
With squeak there was alot of blood. I used sterile water and a cotton swab to clean it. I used purple spray (blue kote) at first. It did seem to heal fairly quick but the feathers were stuck together with blood which made cleaning it quite difficult. That is when the pus started coming out of the hole in the middle of it. The honey did seem to clear that up in a couple of days. It may be worth trimming a few of the feathers around it if you can. Squeaks head totally healed like you predicted! He just has a few feathers at odd angles but hopefully they will come out in the moult. I'm not sure what to suggest with doo. If he is separated then hopefully he may start to see the error of his ways. It's not good though especially as you spent so much care and attention feeding him and nurturing him.

The feathers seem to have been yanked out in the attack so I havent had to trim so far. And by the time I discovered the wound it was not bleeding and the blood seemed dry. I am reproaching my self that I did not check each bird closely when I saw the feathers. As it was about 18 hours later I discovered the wound. :he When she was sitting in the nest bowl with her head tucked it was not visible.

:he :(
Could it be his age? A hormone thing, similar to cockerels? Or do you thinks its just "bad manners"?:hmm

Multiple factors I think, both nature and nurture, genetics and environment and age too perhaps.:idunno

I think you are developing good instincts on caring for your flock. Yes we both may have guided you along at the beginning. That being said you made some good decisions on your own I have taken note. We all been in your situation and you give it your best shot and see what happens when you approach a problem with a bit of forethought. I think you are on the right track.
Thank you so much for the support. My instinct says to keep her caged for a bit and try to find a way to deal with the suspects. I will hope for the best ... and some more good luck.:)

The feathers seem to have been yanked out in the attack so I havent had to trim so far. And by the time I discovered the wound it was not bleeding and the blood seemed dry. I am reproaching my self that I did not check each bird closely when I saw the feathers. As it was about 18 hours later I discovered the wound. :he When she was sitting in the nest bowl with her head tucked it was not visible.

Multiple factors I think, both nature and nurture, genetics and environment and age too perhaps.:idunno

Thank you so much for the support. My instinct says to keep her caged for a bit and try to find a way to deal with the suspects. I will hope for the best ... and some more good luck.:)
Dont be so hard on yourself for not finding it till later.. its happens to the best of us. Cant tell ya how many times ive done it with my chickens.:oops:
You found it and are taking care of her..thats whats important! :hugs
And going with your gut is a good way to go! :old
:fl for all the good luck in the world!

Last edited:
If she were mine, I would keep her caged but would put her mate in a cage next to her. I would not put them together until she is healed as he may want to start the nest building/mating/driving scenario before she is ready.

I'm considering honey ... I dont think its infected, might leave it if I see a good scab forming when I look later. I'm just :fl its not worse than I think.

Dont have her mate with her now. I'd like to hear from @sourland and @Hokum Coco if I should keep her alone or...?

That is my view as well. Have you ever had this happen?

I have had birds return from flights 'sliced' by hawks. Sometimes a bird will veer and elude a direct, killing hit and just get ripped by the hawk's talons. One rule to never forget is: 'Never fly birds that you can not afford to lose.' The hawks always seem to get the best. It sounds as if she should heal readily. Good luck with her.

If she were mine, I would keep her caged but would put her mate in a cage next to her. I would not put them together until she is healed as he may want to start the nest building/mating/driving scenario before she is ready.

I have had birds return from flights 'sliced' by hawks. Sometimes a bird will veer and elude a direct, killing hit and just get ripped by the hawk's talons. One rule to never forget is: 'Never fly birds that you can not afford to lose.' The hawks always seem to get the best. It sounds as if she should heal readily. Good luck with her.

Thanks very much Sour, I will get her caged next to her mate tomorrow morning. For now should I bring him inside or cage them side by side on the loft floor? The loft is only 4x6. Over the next few days I might be able to rig a large divided nest box with a front...

The small tip of the wound on her shoulder could be a talon that just managed to tear off a patch of skin. I would rather that than one of my cocks but strongly suspect a flock mate.:(

Dont be so hard on yourself for not finding it till later.. its happens to the best of us. Cant tell ya how many times ive done it with my chickens.:oops:
You found it and are taking care of her..thats whats important! :hugs
And going with your gut is a good way to go! :old
:fl for all the good luck in the world!

Thank you :hugs

In my experience when birds are injured by flock mates it is in the form of scalping - not lacerations. This does not necessarily mean that your bad boy was not the culprit.
Its like the back of her neck was 'scalped' the size of a square inch + withe a small triangle shaped extension toward the shoulder.

Its like the back of her neck was 'scalped' the size of a square inch + withe a small triangle shaped extension toward the shoulder.

Could she have flown into anything (wire?) that maybe sliced it?

And hey, you are so good at helping others... Trust yourself with your own birds too. I know it’s hard with our own. I offer advice to others and then question myself with my own birds all the time. I’m not saying not to ask for and take advice, I’m just saying you got this! :D

Could she have flown into anything (wire?) that maybe sliced it?

And hey, you are so good at helping others... Trust yourself with your own birds too. I know it’s hard with our own. I offer advice to others and then question myself with my own birds all the time. I’m not saying not to ask for and take advice, I’m just saying you got this! :D
X2! :goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom