Pigeon Bulletin Board?

Actually, I think the ones I found aren't homers. Bummer. I'll have to keep looking. The pigeon racing clubs around here will not help at all if you're using the birds for dog training, so I'm having a hard time finding any.
I understand their thinking since many peeps that train their dogs, do shoot the pigeons as they fly away. In my Craig's List, I often find ads with pigeons for sale. These are barn ferals that farmers sell. They go for a very low asking price. It is also stated with ad that "DOES NOT CONCERN ME WHAT YOU DO WITH THEM"
These are SINGLE USE PIGEONS. If peeps did not continue buying these, that person (farmer) would not keep advertising them.:hit
If you could get your hands on some ferals, keep them prisoner and hatch out the young. The young will end up returning to your loft. Some of the original feral parents may also homeset to your loft after a few clutches hatched.
Most feral pigeons are homing pigeons BTW. Some of the other varieties that escape and try a feral lifestyle probably do not survive long. JMO

Well... I was thinking young homers. But I have Portuguese tumblers, which are kinda mini :)View attachment 1726516 View attachment 1726517
Only way I see this happening, is if YOU assisted your pigeon thru the chain-link opening. (I am assuming that your chainlink is same as all other standard chainlink) Not going to make it on its own.
You might also need a jar of this.
serveimage

BTW... young pigeons at about the time they are able to fly, are usually heavier than their parents. They slim down and get into trim shape as they exercise. That is how my homers were.:old

very good point. More are lost and killed in racing than training.
All depends which group you are asking:old

I might end up doing that. I just didn’t want to wait.
The wait is not that long of a stretch to get the correct birds for your needs. :thumbsup

I understand their thinking since many peeps that train their dogs, do shoot the pigeons as they fly away. In my Craig's List, I often find ads with pigeons for sale. These are barn ferals that farmers sell. They go for a very low asking price. It is also stated with ad that "DOES NOT CONCERN ME WHAT YOU DO WITH THEM"
These are SINGLE USE PIGEONS. If peeps did not continue buying these, that person (farmer) would not keep advertising them.:hit
If you could get your hands on some ferals, keep them prisoner and hatch out the young. The young will end up returning to your loft. Some of the original feral parents may also homeset to your loft after a few clutches hatched.
Most feral pigeons are homing pigeons BTW. Some of the other varieties that escape and try a feral lifestyle probably do not survive long. JMO

Only way I see this happening, is if YOU assisted your pigeon thru the chain-link opening. (I am assuming that your chainlink is same as all other standard chainlink) Not going to make it on its own.
You might also need a jar of this.
serveimage

BTW... young pigeons at about the time they are able to fly, are usually heavier than their parents. They slim down and get into trim shape as they exercise. That is how my homers were.:old

All depends which group you are asking:old

The wait is not that long of a stretch to get the correct birds for your needs. :thumbsup
Ok. You are likely right. And don't worry, I have lots of vasoline jic. ;)

Pigeon cant squeeze thru chain-link fence opening. Unless you have some mini version of pigies:gig

Some of mine could probably squeeze thru chain link, if it was touching the ground and they tried to walk thru it. I was looking at one of my females, thinking she was my youngster, I think her baby is actually already bigger than she is.
Of course, mine are fancy breed, so I doubt they would be used for dog training lol

I’ve been looking on Craigslist, but haven’t found any young ones. Unless I’m misunderstanding how young they need to be. I didn’t have to do this with my Pointer. He pretty much instinctively does what he should.

I think people picture dogs mauling birds. Obviously, that’s not what hunting dogs do. Who wants to eat a bird that’s already been half-eaten by a dog? My dogs are very soft mouthed. I caught my setter carrying around a duck when he was a pup. She was very indignant, but waddled off unhurt when I got her out of his mouth and put her down. On the rare occasion they have manage to catch a bird in flight, it gets a little slobbery and frightened, but other than that they are fine. That’s what we need pigeons for - to teach them “whoa.” In other words, stay put until you’re given the signal to retrieve. I have a check cord attached to the collar that I can step on to hold the dog in place in case they get any ideas of taking off when the bird flushes.

My neighbor has Brittany Spaniels that he used for hunting quail. One of my production hens got out of my yard (super friendly girl, was used to my dogs not bothering her). Well the neighbor dog grabbed her by the rear, ran home with her, and dropped her at my neighbors feet. Although he didn’t kill her right away, I believe he crushed an egg inside her, she died about 4 days later. If she hadn’t been laying, she would likely only have had some minor bite wounds and missing feathers.

I may get blasted for this (no pun intended), but I don't see anything wrong with shooting the pigeons. I mean, that's kind of the end goal here; for the birds being hunted anyway. I would have a problem with people not taking care of or letting their dogs hurt the pigeons. I'm not a vegetarian, though.

I'm in a bit of a time crunch as far as getting my dog trained on time, that's why I'm in a hurry. I might just have to drive a few miles down the road to my friend's to trap some pigeons that make her indoor arena their home. That way, when they fly away, I can just go back and trap some more and then I can take my time finding pigeons that I want. ;-)

My neighbor has Brittany Spaniels that he used for hunting quail. One of my production hens got out of my yard (super friendly girl, was used to my dogs not bothering her). Well the neighbor dog grabbed her by the rear, ran home with her, and dropped her at my neighbors feet. Although he didn’t kill her right away, I believe he crushed an egg inside her, she died about 4 days later. If she hadn’t been laying, she would likely only have had some minor bite wounds and missing feathers.

Too bad, but yeah, that's about what my dogs would do. Pick something up and bring it to me. I've seen my Golden Retriever catch a mouse, it ran out of her mouth, then my Pointer scooped it up and it ran right out of his mouth. The expressions on their faces were hilarious, like "what the heck just happened?" :)

Back
Top Bottom