Pigeon Talk

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by WVduckchick, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Serin

Serin Songster

Feb 3, 2019
    Chicagoland
    Most of my birds are like that with my head. They only are wary of our hands - we don't grab them with our mouths or our feet. My canary (i have only my one male again - sold all this year's chicks) is scared to death of my hands but will sit on my foot.

I only approach Rosie from below the level of her head to pet her neck and she is okay with that. Being picked up from above is frightening because that's what raptors do, though I can lift Olive now as we are to the point of complete trust and she does not find anything I do threatening. It took about 3 months for her to let me catch and hold her, initially I had to bribe her to step up for treats but she is now very easily handled and I can scoop her up.

Remind me to take a new video of Olive sometime. I last did so when she was still really new here and she was just starting to tame down. Her behavior now is adorable. She lays down and spins around (never all the way like cocks do, but back and forth) and coos like crazy when I pet her and she will sit next to me and snuggle into my hand making happy noises as long as I let her. Sometimes I'll run down the hall and back and she'll fly after me. She's like my shadow. I could definitely take her outdoors and she wouldn't leave and she has gotten out briefly by accident once and landed on my head when i opened the door. If we didn't have hawks, I would.

On an only semi-related tangent, were German owl pigeons selectively bred to make owl like noises? Olive very rarely makes burbling coos like the usual pigeon. Only when she is extremely excited, as when I have been out for the day and come home and pet her, she'll do one. But she makes quiet "hoo, hoo" noises all the time and will repeat them as long as I am petting her.

Rosie has yet to make a single sound. Haven't let her out today. She spent seven hours just sitting on her ledge before briefly jumping down to gorge and drink and then back onto the ledge.

2. Serin

Serin Songster

Feb 3, 2019
    Chicagoland
    She made a sound! I was changing the cage papers and she growled at me. I'm glad because it means she's getting at least a bit more settled lol.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Crowing

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I am guessing they flew home as a group (20+- mile toss) as they were all here when I arrived.
    I flew a slightly different flock yesterday from the same location and they all arrived this morning. A freak storm hit the coast line where the release was made.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Young Horseman and baby Damascenes.

8788B974-991A-4438-AE4A-817A6930AEB9.jpeg 4BA7FA4C-B84D-4FCD-93CA-5B9FC1CF05E4.jpeg

Pyxis, cavemanrich, CCUK and 10 others like this.
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Hello all! Can you tell I had a long catch up? :gig

Serin, I love Rosie already. Beautiful bird, and the stories are wonderful. I know what you mean about telling others who are interested. My husband says all I talk about is my birds. Now every time I want to tell him something, I start with “I have a bird story, wanna hear it?” :gig

Lisa and BP!! :love Great pic and the birds are awesome! Looks like you both are pleased with the outcome. I still want to see the rescued feral. Did I miss a pic of it?

Turk, I think it’s soooo cool that DH wants some pigeons. They really are easy and cheap to care for, so a few birds just for pleasure isn’t a bad thing! Just be sure he looks at lots of varieties before choosing one. There are so many. Fantails intrigued me until I saw them in person. They are beautiful, but just weren’t for me. I know sometimes it’s easiest to get what’s available, but have him do some research before picking any ole birds. :D

Pyxis, cavemanrich, CCUK and 4 others like this.
  6. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
  7. backyard pigeons

backyard pigeons Cooing

Oct 18, 2018
    I have forgotten about posting a pic, I will do that today! He's a bit older than I first thought.

8. backyard pigeons

backyard pigeons Cooing

Oct 18, 2018
  9. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Beyond Poultry Dome

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    That's awesome! :clap
    Glad they all made it home! :celebrate
    I just love squeakers.. :love
    I cant help but think they are too cute! :lau
    Im very happy with them! They seem to be settling in well so far.:fl
    You've been missed! :hugs

10. backyard pigeons

backyard pigeons Cooing

Oct 18, 2018
    FMF, I wish you could have come 3days earlier, because the squab was half the size at that time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: