Pigeon Talk

Hello all! I'm researching pigeons (again) and am reading up. I've got a lot of changes planned for this year so if I can find someone to get some from I'm hoping to slowly build a loft. Then hopefully next year start with some pigeons.
I'm in Ohio, about an hour east of Pittsburgh pa. If anyone is not terribly far away or can point me toward people/sources near me I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Me too. :) :fl
Edit added … I think experience pays off and improves the odds of successful parenting.

They're 2017 birds, so I think they've probably raised young before, though I can't be certain. Last time the egg got all the way up to pipping, but then died because the baby was malpositioned.

Check your local area Craig's List. @ohiogoatgirl
I have. One for show birds and too far away anyhow. One for 'barn pigeons' $5 each and look like ferals, 2hrs away.. though if they are caught and that price it could be worth making a day trip to get a bunch.. One an hour away $10 each, pretty colors but look like small show birds, Macedonian turbit and donek.. If I am already going that way it'd be worth it.

I'm just looking around right now. I'll be checking craigslist now and then to see if any pop up closer. Too many plans with the other animals this year, I'll be happy to get those things accomplished. The pigeons are a 'just for me' project and I hope to fit in time to build a loft and be able to have it all ready to find occupants next spring/summer.

Pigeon loft building day everyone!! We just picked up the materials needed and the weather isn’t the best but thankfully it’s all inside the chicken coop :clap

I’ll get a photo of the started loft w/ the floor up when I get back out there. It’s been up for a while so it’s really dusty atm, I’m hoping to get their pop door fully cut out to get better airflow up there to stop the dust from settling. It’s nice to be able to see that sort of stuff before I get putting it all together and get the birds in there! That way I can fix it :D

Here’s the door plans quickly sketched up
A883CBF5-BE18-4CDC-A641-2C23B51C7353.jpeg

I’d love ideas on what to put where for ledges/perches once I get the other photo and the measurements!

Edit: I got some photos, not the best because my father took the ladder out before I could get on it to snap some photos!
0B881BD9-77C3-498F-9AB6-EE98DD7FAB2B.jpeg
DE4E82B9-586D-480B-B59D-13D161A2C1FD.jpeg
B2D0B837-E895-4F10-8723-C98916677760.jpeg

Measurements are: 78” x 40” and at the peak we have 30” and the bottom corners are about 5” so not right to the floor of their loft. The 2x4 is on the smaller side to hold the bedding inside.
This is just going to be their live in area, they will have outdoor access to the aviary once we get the dog kennel attached to the pop door.

Attached a photo of the girls just for fun! Left is Thing 2, right is Thing 1.

Attachments

• 0EA6F223-1E41-4E4D-A975-B08D47C8D9B5.jpeg
    0EA6F223-1E41-4E4D-A975-B08D47C8D9B5.jpeg
    604.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom