Pigeon Talk

My oldest pigeon (who flew through races, loft flying, road training etc.) was 23 years old. My current oldest is 14 years old I believe (again, a flying bird). I don't use a vet for my birds ever. The lifespan largely comes down to genetics, and health... just like in humans. I called out Serin on that statement because it rubbed me the wrong way, implying that people who fly there birds somehow care less for them than people who keep them locked up in a house. Somehow sending them out for a flight was a certain death for all of them. I knew he never flew a bird before because there is no other logical reason to make such a statement. Can a bird get killed by a hawk? absolutely. Can a person get hit by a car after they step out of their house? absolutely. But we can't live in a bubble. There are many signs to look for predators before letting the birds out. A couple simple ones, if the birds have access to an aviary and are very weary about going out it generally means danger is around (that's why we should never force them out). In the summer if the song birds suddenly go quiet and disappear, it's again highly likely that trouble is in the area. There are many little signs and tricks that you pick up over the years. But somehow implying that I care less for them is ridiculous. I mean how many people keep pets in the house and abuse them... filthy conditions, over crowded, no food or clean water etc... sadly there are countless people who do this. It all depends on whether the owner is a responsible person or not. I mean just on this very forum there is/was a member who kept capturing wild doves and taking their eggs etc and miserably failing at raising them in some sick sadistic experimentation... Ok I think that's enough ranting haha :D
Well said. I couldn't agree more.

OK. I crumbled! I know I said I wasn't going to breed from the fantails until I decided what I was going to do BUT I just went out to do my chores and my white female fantail has decided to sneaky a nest and there is two beautiful little white eggs in there. She looked so content and even let me check under her with no fuss. I've let her keep them! So I have one archangel due on the 2nd march and two fantails on the 4th!!
This isn’t the one I’ve been looking for, but I’ll post it anyway. 💜🤗
View attachment 2030510
:love Look how pigeons make people happy!!

Edit to add @CCUK - romance is in the air for pigeons. Looking forward to some adorable babies in your loft.

I can’t make it out either. ‘53 or ‘63? I’ll ask my mother if she remembers. When he passed away they brought some of his birds to the funeral. They must’ve given the birds away after that, but they kept the lofts up. Years later there were still old eggs in there that had been abandoned. We weren’t allowed to go inside them, but as a kid it was the most fascinating thing to see those eggs. I wanted to go in & explore them so bad, but like a historical museum that is left to lie in state, it was fenced off & strictly look but don’t touch status.

:love Look how pigeons make people happy!!

Edit to add @CCUK - romance is in the air for pigeons. Looking forward to some adorable babies in your loft.
I just checked the archangel egg under Ash and I don't think it's fertile :( I did look slightly darker but it was still pretty clear and there were no veins. I'll leave it with her, hopefully it will be a latestarter! I'm pretty sure the fantails will be though. They procreate far too much! :lau

I can’t make it out either. ‘53 or ‘63? I’ll ask my mother if she remembers. When he passed away they brought some of his birds to the funeral. They must’ve given the birds away after that, but they kept the lofts up. Years later there were still old eggs in there that had been abandoned. We weren’t allowed to go inside them, but as a kid it was the most fascinating thing to see those eggs. I wanted to go in & explore them so bad, but like a historical museum that is left to lie in state, it was fenced off & strictly look but don’t touch status.
That's a shame that the lofts were left empty after he passed away. There must have been so much activity in there hey day. The end of an era. It would be interesting to see if whoever took the birds continued with the bloodline. What a thing it would be to find out that they were still breeding champions!

That's a shame that the lofts were left empty after he passed away. There must have been so much activity in there hey day. The end of an era. It would be interesting to see if whoever took the birds continued with the bloodline. What a thing it would be to find out that they were still breeding champions!

That’s two more things I’ll have to ask my mother about. I should make a list.

Ok, I'm wading I shouldn't...
Serin...I get it. And your a heck of a pigeon advocate. You know I love Olive! But I don't have issues with folks flying birds that were bred to fly. Yeah...ok...maybe it is a risk. But the beauty of watching a bird do what it was bred for can be unsurpassed. And the bird...there has to be a certain joy in that little pigeons heart when it takes to the air! I see both sides. I think folks here love their birds and do what they feel is right in their hearts.
I agree. There is such beauty in flight. Today, I whistled for them to come in. 11 birds cupped their wings and dropped like a rock. It was exhilarating.
My oldest pigeon (who flew through races, loft flying, road training etc.) was 23 years old. My current oldest is 14 years old I believe (again, a flying bird). I don't use a vet for my birds ever. The lifespan largely comes down to genetics, and health... just like in humans. I called out Serin on that statement because it rubbed me the wrong way, implying that people who fly there birds somehow care less for them than people who keep them locked up in a house. Somehow sending them out for a flight was a certain death for all of them. I knew he never flew a bird before because there is no other logical reason to make such a statement. Can a bird get killed by a hawk? absolutely. Can a person get hit by a car after they step out of their house? absolutely. But we can't live in a bubble. There are many signs to look for predators before letting the birds out. A couple simple ones, if the birds have access to an aviary and are very weary about going out it generally means danger is around (that's why we should never force them out). In the summer if the song birds suddenly go quiet and disappear, it's again highly likely that trouble is in the area. There are many little signs and tricks that you pick up over the years. But somehow implying that I care less for them is ridiculous. I mean how many people keep pets in the house and abuse them... filthy conditions, over crowded, no food or clean water etc... sadly there are countless people who do this. It all depends on whether the owner is a responsible person or not. I mean just on this very forum there is/was a member who kept capturing wild doves and taking their eggs etc and miserably failing at raising them in some sick sadistic experimentation... Ok I think that's enough ranting haha :D
well said! Do you loft fly daily?
This isn’t the one I’ve been looking for, but I’ll post it anyway. 💜🤗
View attachment 2030510
true joy! Pigeons are wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom