Pigeon Talk

Covid-19 is mammal-specific as far as is currently known. It originates in bats, may have spread into pangolins before infecting humans. We now know it infects dogs, but does not do well in them or cause illness, and it infects cats with flu-like symptoms including tigers and lions at the Bronx Zoo. Experiments show ferrets also are vulnerable. SARS, a related disease, originated in civets - cat relatives from Southeast Asia. So far none of these coronaviruses affects birds.

That's actually not fully true. Pigeons, and chickens, and some other birds can and do get coronavirus... it's just a species specific coronavirus. I think they first found it way back in the 80's or something like that. This new covid-19 however... I don't think anybody truly knows just yet. I think it would take testing first to be able to definitively say whether or not they can get it. Much too early yet, and right now the worry and resources are better placed elsewhere.
I stand corrected! :th
Covid-19 is mammal-specific as far as is currently known. It originates in bats, may have spread into pangolins before infecting humans. We now know it infects dogs, but does not do well in them or cause illness, and it infects cats with flu-like symptoms including tigers and lions at the Bronx Zoo. Experiments show ferrets also are vulnerable. SARS, a related disease, originated in civets - cat relatives from Southeast Asia. So far none of these coronaviruses affects birds.
I stand corrected! Again! :th
Clara actually laid a second egg :wee:celebrate

I'm not sure what did it, but something I tried apparently worked. Now, fingers crossed for babies in 17ish days.
Yay!!! Congrats. Maybe the medication you gave them?

Yeah, it might've been the Baytril. I just wonder what it could be that they apparently had since I got them that only manifested in her laying a single egg each time and no other symptoms.
I'm going to guess salmonella/paratyphoid (they don't always have obvious symptoms). Don't be shocked if the eggs are infertile this time though... I'm pretty sure that baytril can have that effect.

I'm going to guess salmonella/paratyphoid (they don't always have obvious symptoms). Don't be shocked if the eggs are infertile this time though... I'm pretty sure that baytril can have that effect.
I wondered if there could be a link between the Baytril and the second egg. At first it seemed unlikely, then Salmonella popped into my head too, just based on internet searches of pigeon diseases. It's hard to wrap my head around all the different bad effects salmonella can have on pigeons and yet adult birds can be carriers without obvious symptoms, as you point out. I'm so pleased my guess matches yours!

https://akashicloft.weebly.com/mindian-standard.html

Yes I have had them in the past (there are actually a few different types of them). I didn't keep them long because you need to have a good sized flock with high flyers, the hawks were picking them off, and quite honestly I just think they are quite ugly haha. What are you wanting to do with them? Just have them to have them? or fly them? If you want to fly them i would recommend you don't. It's hard to find good flying stock in this country as so many people are just keeping them for exhibition, and you would also need to build up a larger flock of them. Plus it's a whole different animal with feeding and training high flyers. If you just want to keep them to look at because you like them, then sure why not... but they do tend to be a bit on the flighty side.
I don't really want to fly them especially since you said there's not good stock. To each their own with the ugliness factor :) I think I'd like to build a loft just to keep some non-flying breeds in, I'm not sure though.

Back
Top Bottom