Pigeon Talk

Finished painting the aviary today! It looks great. So glad this hobby is keeping me busy during the lockdown. Next up is landscaping! The pigeons were very interested in what I was doing the entire time. I had a bag of rags sitting in there and they were convinced it was full of peanuts and wouldn't leave it alone:lau. My one squab is very near fledging. He spent all day today looking over the edge of the nesting box, working up some courage to jump down. Maybe he'll fledge tomorrow :D
that's a good looking aviary! I like all the decor.
I do have some black paint hanging around so maybe I'll just roll it onto the hardware cloth and see what happens. It would probably look even better!
you should. It helps so much! I have mine that way.
The catbirds are getting very comfortable near the aviary and that light colored nest box in the back is currently occupied by some chickadees :) and my eggs should hatch very soon!
cool! I saw my first cat bird a couple weeks ago. I put up boxes for chicadees, but didn't get any. I did get two blue bird clutches this year though! 8 babies total.
Also, name suggestions are welcome! I honestly have no idea what to name him. I've just been calling him baby pigeon for about 3 weeks now lol.
HE is a pretty bird! I see some black spots on the wingtips.
Everyone, we got a baby! View attachment 2157651
yes! Second egg due soon.
Very diverse flock! I love your grizzle. How many birds do you have now?

Do pigeons have a breeding season? Or do they go for it all year? My turkeys only get broody in mid winter & early spring.
In captivity, they do it all year round. But in the wild, where food is scarce, they mostly breed in summer and fall, when the corn, wheat, bean, and grain sorghum field are being harvested. the young will eat more than the adults before they fledge, so the 2 parents are bassicly responsible for what 5-6 adult adult birds eat for about a week period.

How many turkeys do you have? those are kinda your thing, aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom