Pigeon Talk

I have a little feral squeaker as of tonight. Someone found it around one this afternoon, contacted my rehabber friend, and she contacted me. First to send me a picture to ask if it was even a pigeon, LOL. They do look a bit weird as babies.

The little guy is not great. Very lethargic, and very thin. He did poop, so that's a good sign. I tubed him a bit of water with electrolytes, but since he was pooping I decided it would be safe to also feed. Just got about 10 ml of food into him. We will see if he perks up from it.

I also gave him some Baytril, just in case. Let me tell you, that dose was fun to figure out. Ever tried to measure out .01 of a ml, lol?

We will see how this goes. I'm not sure he will rally, but we'll try.

Little guy is hanging in. Much perkier now, although he decided to have a crop slowdown that I was worried was going to be serious. Managed to get things moving again by feeding a lot of water to thin it all out. Sheesh.

I've discovered what is almost definitely the cause of his issues. His left wing is injured. I'm worried that it's broken. I'm also worried that the bone is actually protruding a little, because there is an odd sharp edge to the wound.

YwA7TMLCHlEhI8S5smfEl88-ll-Z0c0oCZLs0pqgnsEURhq-4eHa8HTK-S2zyh6yLbm9KJanekWyqijLTpE-3fYX-iU8nwhNkrDAJlnUvyG0iydZ0l_93cZeHm36zSdGObh7-_x37rn9stEnfzTY4F8x3EW4w-urRs99r_sWV4fnjRdQlTFlMZoJjvuZWHgAimnQ6tMXxyAWo7OJN4s0c5gxd4U0WOSazSddNxo0bI900xbaZfNeyIxAFDWK0i2IPo-SEBdOivUGZnTcrSnYfFt09D0eoK1K8r3xp1eYtSVCyBviwzj_ZtnklFYOaaCMaiv9K_EszdZ7hkWY3x-Q9Y0hOw2S_xmKHV7bPSSKGY80TwtfJNe4S7ASqxCvmj02s1cerVAqYTLEExIWCX-ul305i-ncGkZOtWuIHfllt0wGcoY0uiyc6rp8pn2cG-jml-DbuXxzF_5PqPMhr2WJgJtYXI5u6mWVpzpkKrkF0IfipX2RnY3JNMLtEs53Ia4b7j5Tq6V8b_oQcuP7i-7u7-6A9LSc0oTqbWX_RIf1GUnfmf77yDgI1mG1Y_jRHMxrQ-JopYlnohwxagFbPYUFAWJJAT9mHm2u6uyi3zeWCrKJBxD7T1W64YyeooF9CPa-omcZMsOXTQ2_Fu5Uoy5xJR64Ti9e0DX-sDx9_1lewNjFIkh-8vDCaRD48XWcvhEzyVOlujKq2EAQikFH20wYhtpo=w1250-h937-no

He will be going to the vet on Friday to see what's going on here. My luck, I'm about to pay for a pigeon to have surgery, either to fix it or to take the wing off.

I'll be continuing with the Baytril until then because if it really is a bone sticking out, infection could be a real issue.

Local fair had a flying club that put on a display and had some raffles for birds. Two of my sons ended up winning so here we are with 6 more yb and a new basket one of their members made and donated! Three blue checks, a blue bar with some brown tinting, a red and a beautiful grizzle!

Attachments

• 83245621-CE25-42D5-AD3F-AA5DB537100B.jpeg
    83245621-CE25-42D5-AD3F-AA5DB537100B.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 6
Local fair had a flying club that put on a display and had some raffles for birds. Two of my sons ended up winning so here we are with 6 more yb and a new basket one of their members made and donated! Three blue checks, a blue bar with some brown tinting, a red and a beautiful grizzle!
Major score !

@Pyxis How did things turn out at the vet with your new feral?

We didn't go, because he's still not doing great and I didn't want to stress him out. His crop is still slow for whatever reason, so he's not getting a lot of food into him. He's also been dehydrated unless I get subcutaneous fluids into him, so I've been doing that.

If he turns the corner we'll go, but no point in taking him and stressing him out further and making things worse. If he starts gaining weight, I'll take it as a good sign.

Sorry to hear that :( hoping for the best for you and the little guy.

I posted about a triple egg fiasco a few weeks ago. I narrowed it down to the two eggs of the same age, but one ended up being a dud. No harm done though, little Nugget is VERY well fed as an only child.

Does anyone feed their local feral flocks? I don’t really have any close by where I live, but I’m considering making the drive up to the city at some point to check them out.

Attachments

• 2C1400D7-8739-4424-8C2D-2F16EED898C7.jpeg
    2C1400D7-8739-4424-8C2D-2F16EED898C7.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 8
Sorry to hear that :( hoping for the best for you and the little guy.

I posted about a triple egg fiasco a few weeks ago. I narrowed it down to the two eggs of the same age, but one ended up being a dud. No harm done though, little Nugget is VERY well fed as an only child.

Does anyone feed their local feral flocks? I don’t really have any close by where I live, but I’m considering making the drive up to the city at some point to check them out.
I occasionally feed the local ferals. Recently, I caught one that was limping, removed the string from its feet and released it again. Where I live, there’s thankfully not many with string wrapped around their feet, but there are at least 9 lost or dumped banded pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom