Pilgrims or American Blue? Can't decide!

fowlfriends

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Battle Ground, Wa
I am torn as to which breed of goose to get. I have been researching geese for a while now - doing searches here, emailing friends with geese to pick their brains, joined a goose yahoo group, purchased The Book of Geese (any other recommended reading?).

We are wanting a good dual-purpose breed for a mixed flock - currently have some ducks and chickens. Also have children - though they are not often kept in the poultry/waterfowl area
wink.png
After a LOT of debate, we have narrowed our choices down to the Pilgrim or the American (Blue or Lavendar Ice)

I have found topics here on BYC about the Pilgrim and it sounds like a fantastic all-around goose. But I am very much attracted to the beauty of the Americans.

I asked the farm I will be purchasing my geese from (Holderread's)
for a bit of advice, this is what they offered me:

"The American Blues and the American Lavender Ice make excellent medium-large meat geese that typically reproduce well, capable of incubating their eggs and raising their goslings. Pilgrims, American Buffs and Pomeranians are also good for these characteristics, although the Pomeranians, American Blues and American Lavender Ice often have higher fertility than Pilgrims and American Buffs."

Also, any advice on whether I would be better off getting adults or goslings? Again, because they will be living with a mixed flock, I wonder if starting as goslings would be best - but having adult birds ensures that they are going to be the quality I am after, and already be of reproduction age....
barnie.gif

Pilgrims, hands down. The best all around goose in my flock. They are the best parents I've ever seen and they're generally laid back. I enjoy the Embdens more becasue they're so goofey and mischevious; but the Embdens are consequentially making more messes and destroying more things. If I had to scale back to one breed, it would be Pilgrims.

You can't beat the geese from Holderreads, and I've never had goslings turn out badly for me. But given that it's fall and you went get goslings utnil Spring, adult birds may be a good start for you. It really comes down to if you can afford the shipping on the adult birds. I live close enough to Corvalis that I could pick them up myself, but not everyone has that luxury.

I say get the lavender ice, they are gorgeous! I would get them because they are very pretty and still rare so when they lay eggs you can sell the eggs or goslings and make money back. I would say get an adult pair because they are better in some ways than goslings. Goslings can die when it gets too cold, they are messy, and a pain to take care of in general.

For those of you who have Pilgrims, approx how many eggs would you say a single pair will hatch in a good year? Approx weight? Everything I have read suggests they are more docile and not quite as loud as some other geese. Is this a good general rule?

And since I know the American Blue/Lavendar are not common, anybody have American Buffs that they could comment on?

Greyfields - I live pretty darn close to Holderreads as well, and have made the drive before to pick up ducks - and have greatly enjoyed looking out at the geese and ducks in their fields and ponds when I have drivin out there. I checked the website, and they have American Blues/Lavendar Ice as adults, but if I choose Pilgrims it looks like goslings in the spring are my choice.

Last edited:
i would go with the blues !! for sure . Not many people have them and they are alot better looking then the pilgrims . Im sure you would make good money selling the eggs and goslings .

Go with the blues
big_smile.png

I guess it depends how eager you are to have geese. If you get a pair now, you very likely will have goslings on the ground in teh Spring of your own breeding.

There is no single sight I enjoy more in farming than watching goslings going out on the grass for the first time in spring. It is just a grass eating frenzy of whistles, smile and laughter all around.

Quote:
I have a little flock of buffs, they have matured out to be quite pretty - all of them almost. They are not very big - but these guys came from hatchery stock. My Holderread goslings will be here in the spring so I can't wait to see if there is a clear cut difference in the type.

I like them more than the Embdens because the embdens are very bossy.

But if I had to scale down to just one breed it would be Dewlap Toulouse hands down. They are sweet.

I do like those Blues however, I had forgotten all about them. I was infatuated with them myself last spring!

Thinking now....if I can afford blue babies!
lol.png

I say pic one YOU like - but I'd pick the blues. I'd even buy eggs from you! In fact can I be put on the list!
wink.png

Last edited:
I vote for the Blues and Lavenders. I have one of each and 2 buffs. I also vote for goslings. I got one adult and she is very stand offish with us, compared to the others who follow us around and talk to us constantly. 2 were purchased as goslings, one as a 2 month old and 1 as a 1 year old. Only the 1 year old is stand offish, but maybe it is just her. I adore them all and think they are gorgeous!!

Thanks everyone! This has not been an easy choice for me at all. But I have decided that I am going to go with the American blue/lavendar goslings in the spring. Most likely a pair of each color, or possibly just the blues. I wish I could get the Pilgrims as well, but want to stick with only one breed.

Back
Top Bottom