Pin Feathers

jaku

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Howard City, Michigan
I hate pin feathers! I plucked this weekend and it took FOREVER to get them all. It doesn't seem like I would need pliers, tweezers, and 45 minutes to pluck a chicken. I scalded for 30-40 seconds in 130 degree water. What am I missing?

Hi Jaku--I am new to this as well. I butchered 12 of my chickens last week over a period of 5 days. It too took me FOREVER to pluck them. I tried scalding with 130 degree water but found the 150 degree water to work much better--not perfect but better. I took a group of 8 birds to a local guy and he dipped them in water that was about 180 degrees and the feathers just stripped right off for him. I didn't do that since I was worried about cooking the meat but he just had them in and out real quick.

I got most of the feathers off, did the evisceration, a good cleansing squirt and into the cooler. I later picked off the pin feathers after they were cool and I wasn't so tired.

I am going to write up some "chicken butchering" notes to myself for the next time I do this so I don't forget!

Kelly

You need a propane torch, like the kind chef's use to make creme brulee or the kind plumber's use with a trigger on it. You just quickly pass the flame over the skin and they burn up. I find it works very well even after you have chilled them a couple hours, as the feathers are easier to see then.

I am one of those folks who uses needle nose pliers or rubber gloves to rub the feathers off. Seems to work just fine for me. I would like to try the torch method on our next batch of chickens when we butcher tomorrow.

Quote:
For the pin feathers or the hairs? Doesn't seem like the torch would get the deep feather shafts, unless I'm confused about what pin feathers actually are???

About how many weeks old were the chickens with the serious pin feathers problems? I remember years ago when we butchered a lot of chickens over the course of several weeks. It started off easy, then eventually they hit the major pin feather stage, then it was slow going.

Oh I was so hoping to avoid it.

Quote:
??? what do you just rub the rubber against the feathers??? then what?....They just come off?

Yup! It's kind of like a plucker with the rubber fingers. Of coarse you do get some feathers that you have to squeeze out. My husband likes to refer to those ones like popping pimples.

Back
Top Bottom