Pinless peepers

Hi everyone, I'm looking into a pinless peeper for a 10 wk old pullet of mine that has consistently starting attacking the neck feathers of another 10 wk old pullet. I do not believe space is an issue in the coop (4 sq ft each) plus they free range all day till dusk. I am looking for atleast a temporary solution because I'm worried how quickly its escalating. Has anyone used the pinless peepers? Do you keep them on all day/night for a few days and then remove? I would hate to keep it on all the time. Reviews I have read did not include a time frame for use. Thank you.

Can you get a video of the behavior? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of the "offender" may also help.

My understanding is pinless peepers are left on full time.
I will try and get video today. For now I will explain in words:
The situation involves two pullets- one is the aggressor. The other will try running away from the attack or once in a while will defend herself by striking back.

The two hens stand next to eachother and look at eachother from the corner of their eyes, heads bowed a little. They will stay still like that for sometimes up to 30 seconds. Then one of two things happen: the aggressor pecks harshly at the neck of the other pullet OR the other pullet tries walking away and the aggressor follows it and pecks it.

The pinless peepers sound cruel. They blind the hen? At 10 weeks probably asserting pecking order. If there is no blood or serious I wouldnt worry too much.
Thank you. I hated the thought of the aggressor pullet having blinders on. I think if things escalate more I will separate the aggressor hen but for now- the pecking is still occurring, no bald spot or breakage or anything yet...feathers are still covering the neck. I will keep monitoring.

I will try and get video today. For now I will explain in words:
The situation involves two pullets- one is the aggressor. The other will try running away from the attack or once in a while will defend herself by striking back.

The two hens stand next to eachother and look at eachother from the corner of their eyes, heads bowed a little. They will stay still like that for sometimes up to 30 seconds. Then one of two things happen: the aggressor pecks harshly at the neck of the other pullet OR the other pullet tries walking away and the aggressor follows it and pecks it.
At least pics of these birds......you're positive they are both females?

Pinless Peepers aren't cruel.
They work really great to stop cockerels from trying to kill the Alpha rooster.
My aggressor with his peepers.
20200621_152527.jpg

The peepers are blinders that create a blind spot in front, but allow plenty of peripheral vision. They really do stop the pecking, but do not inhibit eating, drinking, foraging, roosting. Try holding your hand right in front of your face, and you'll get the idea.
It cured my bully hen of viciously pecking others.
For her, it was peepers or the crock pot. She wore peepers for 3 or 4 months, after which I removed them and she no longer bullied others.

Back
Top Bottom