pip at bottom. busted aircell. hatching in carton. help

i'm hatching upright in cartons because many of the eggs had busted aircells. including this one.

it looks to be more than a pip, but not yet a zip. before i could see it moving, now, not so much...

You will have to help it. It's probably upside down. These are the hardest to save, imo because when they pip in the wrong place, they usually bleed because they are not pipping into the air cell, they are pipping into the membrane that still has veins & blood that hasn't yet absorbed. If you can, try enlarging the pip hole and see if you can make sure that the chick can at least breathe. Then replace into the bator the other way up and see how it progresses.

A pic would be helpful if you can get one...

Last edited:
my button quail often do this. what i do is take shell of from where the pip is then wet the membrane around msking sure not to get the water into the pip hole. by taking the shell away the warm air exposed to the membrane gets the blood to get absorbed faster.

follow up: i chipped at the shell to help it, but a much bigger chip than i anticipated came off. there was blood. i put the egg back in the incubator. a popped in some wet paper towels to the incubator to bring up humidity. about an hour later i started getting real worried about shrink wrap, so i took a 3 inch by 3 inch wet paper towel corner and laid it over the exposed membrane, being careful not to cover the breathing hole.

i went to bed and when i awoke the chick had hatched. it seems a little weak and a little sticky, but ok.

thanks for your help!

Awesome!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom