Pip but no movement - shrink wrapped?

I haven't seen any movement or heard any peeps from the egg, I've had baby chick sounds playing in the room to try and encourage it out but if BirdsBeesTrees is right then I'm going to assume it was drowned before I woke up which is why it hasn't moved. I haven't touched it at all as I read it can take up to 24 hours for them to regain strength to start zipping but when I searched about pips with no movement it came up with low humidity shrink wrapping and since my humidity had dropped down earlier I was worried. I just peeped a corner of the incubator lid up and it's sitting on 60% now, the temperature is still a steady 37.5 and the other 5 are still not showing any external pips yet. I'll leave the other bub in there in case by a miracle it is okay but as it's my first time with so many different links to what humidity to set I'm just more worried than a fly in a Web!

Always a good thing to join in the hatch a longs they do monthly when your going to hatch out lots more people with a lot of combined experience in case the eggsperts are not on

I have a tried and tested hygrometer and thermoter in the incubator, throughout the first 18 days it sat oh a solid 40-45% aside from 2 days with storms where it did rise up to 60% for around 5 hours on both days. The temperature has been a little fluctuated but regularly steady all throughout and the air cells had the right growth from all the videos and charts I followed. Hopefully little bub is okay, I guess only time will tell. Today is day 20 so here's hoping for the other 5 little ones.
:fl I hope they hatch. :)

Have you read already on assisting, that will take a bit just in case you need to. Sometimes they get externally pipped then need to sleep as it's such hard work just getting that external pip. can't find the learning center for some reason so tagging some people that are pretty good resources.

One thing to remember people is location and where the eggs came from make a big difference in what is needed or not.

@ridgrunner
@PD-Riverman

I read a couple threads about assisting but they all said it's best to wait atleast 24 hours for the blood vessels to dry up, it's also where I read about the paper towel idea for adding moisture back into the shell to try and help. If bub doesn't improve over the next day I guess I'll have no choice but to try and help if it's still kicking in there which I really hope it is. :(

I have a tried and tested hygrometer and thermoter in the incubator, throughout the first 18 days it sat oh a solid 40-45% aside from 2 days with storms where it did rise up to 60% for around 5 hours on both days. The temperature has been a little fluctuated but regularly steady all throughout and the air cells had the right growth from all the videos and charts I followed. Hopefully little bub is okay, I guess only time will tell. Today is day 20 so here's hoping for the other 5 little ones.

It sounds like your humidity was good, tracking air cell growth is the most important thing in my opinion (since environment can really affect what humidity is best to use). If it is yolk in the picture like I'm guessing it might be then it was probably just a very sad accident, I've never had it happen to my hatching eggs personally but I have heard of chicks accidentally rupturing their yolk sac and drowning. Hopefully your other little ones make it for you, it sounds like you are doing everything right! :fl

I read a couple threads about assisting but they all said it's best to wait atleast 24 hours for the blood vessels to dry up, it's also where I read about the paper towel idea for adding moisture back into the shell to try and help. If bub doesn't improve over the next day I guess I'll have no choice but to try and help if it's still kicking in there which I really hope it is. :(
we are all here rooting for bub, I've had mal positioned chicks pip into the egg yolk personally, it doesn't end well. just leave the bator alone during the last 3 days without opening it no mater what, that can cause shrink wrapping

It sounds like your humidity was good, tracking air cell growth is the most important thing in my opinion (since environment can really affect what humidity is best to use). If it is yolk in the picture like I'm guessing it might be then it was probably just a very sad accident, I've never had it happen to my hatching eggs personally but I have heard of chicks accidentally rupturing their yolk sac and drowning. Hopefully your other little ones make it for you, it sounds like you are doing everything right! :fl

I never even knew that could happen! Is there anything I can do to make sure the other bubs don't do the same if that is the case? When I candled them on day 18 their development looked spot on to everything I researched so I'm hoping the others are all okay.

I learned it the hard way. trying to save one killed others from opening the bator during lock down, you only want to do that if your rooms humidity is higher than your incubator humidity. Best thing you can do is relax and watch but not open the bator anymore until hatch completes.

I never even knew that could happen! Is there anything I can do to make sure the other bubs don't do the same if that is the case? When I candled them on day 18 their development looked spot on to everything I researched so I'm hoping the others are all okay.

I don't think there is really anything you can do to prevent a chick accidentally pipping into their yolk sac, however I believe it is rare so your chances of having multiple chicks pipping into the yolk are probably very slim. Hopefully the rest will hatch without an issue!

I learned it the hard way. trying to save one killed others from opeing the bator during lock down, you only want to do that if your rooms humidity is higher than your incubator humidity.

I am so so sorry you had to go through that, I can't imagine how devastated you must've felt, my heart truly goes out to you and as painful as it was I am glad to hear your story because now I know not to mess with nature and just let it be whatever that may lead to. I have a tiny piece of cardboard placed into one corner of the lid which is keeping the humidity between 63-65% currently, I've been keeping a close eye on it since I read the drowning comment and it hasn't dropped below or gone above those incriments yet. I'll still keep my eyes on it to make sure it doesn't drop any lower than 60% though, the last thing I want is my other 5 bubs to have anything less than perfect conditions to be born into.

Back
Top Bottom