Pipped 18 Hours Ago

ChickAsThieves

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Northeast
No progress since this picture was taken yesterday afternoon. Do I intervene? I can’t tell if the chick is alive or moving.
F157D3C4-1B66-45AD-B9BC-4BF6B2605398.jpeg

It is very hard work for a chick to pip, so they often need lots of recovery time until they start the zipping process.

Just leave them alone, they don't need any help at this stage, all you would do is harm them. So the best you can do is sit on your hands. ;)

No progress since this picture was taken yesterday afternoon. Do I intervene? I can’t tell if the chick is alive or moving. View attachment 2815365
Any peeping? It won't hurt to remove the broken bits of shell from the pip, & peel the outer membrane that's over the beak.
16172783529762158993697981601920.jpg

They typically hatch 12-24 hours after they pip. I've had chicks wait 2-3 days before hatching before.

Any peeping? It won't hurt to remove the broken bits of shell from the pip, & peel the outer membrane that's over the beak.
View attachment 2815389
They typically hatch 12-24 hours after they pip. I've had chicks wait 2-3 days before hatching before.
Thank you. I did this and the chick is definitely still alive! I’ve got one lonlely chick that hatched yesterday waiting very impatiently for some company so I am happy to see this chick appears ok. 🙂

It won't hurt to remove the broken bits of shell from the pip, & peel the outer membrane that's over the beak.
It could harm, as to do so, the incubator would have to be opened which could ruin the humidity upbuild and could lead to shrink wrapping.

Each time the incubator is opened after lockdown makes it harder for the chicks to hatch.

Also removing the membrane could lead to bleeding and/or early drying out.
Better to leave it alone.

It could harm, as to do so, the incubator would have to be opened which could ruin the humidity upbuild and could lead to shrink wrapping.
Also removing the membrane could lead to bleeding and/or early drying out.
Better to leave it alone.
Shrink wrapping takes several hours to happen, it's not immediate. Plus adding a little extra water(Depending on type of incubator, & house conditions)Will keep the humidity stable.

The outer membrane, not inner. The inner membrane contains blood vessels. Outer membrane is the portion that's against the shell, & is often white.

Back
Top Bottom