Mrs A

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2021
Hi,
So this is my first time hatching duck eggs. I noticed one of the eggs had a hole in this morning it could have happened last night while I was sleeping but it seems to be in the wrong end. My air cells were a bit weird *being shipped even though I set them for over 24hrs) so I am not sure if it got confused.

It doesn't look as though there is a hole in the air cell and I am not sure it can breathe. There was movement against the membrane this morning but it hasn't moved for a while.

Is there a way to tell if it can breathe? The membrane looks a little brown to me is this also a worry?

Any tips nuch appreciated. Please help!!

Thank you.

Ok thanks - it isn't pushing on the membrane anymore. I am not too worried about the hatch taking a while as I know that they do I just don't want it to suffocate. I eould have thought it would make a hole through both membrane and shell?
Hi everyone,
It had made no progress so I decided to zip a little for it and also to add a hole in the membrane, it was extremely tough. Before doing so I could hear it cheeping and trying its best to get it's bill out. I could barely do this even after dampening it and using tweezers so I really think it would have struggled. I have exposed the bill now but not the entire head. I have decided to leave it to rest for a while in the incubator. The rest of the membrane has gone leathery and brown too, the hunidity is high it is just so thick and tough.
Are there any signs I should look for that signal distress so I know if it will need further assistance or not?
At the moment its mouth is moving and it occasionally cheeps. And then looks as though it is sleeping so hopibg for the best.

Thank you for any help you can give me. Really invested I would be so heartbroken if I can't keep the little guy alive.

Thank you everyone!

I have kept him in as it seems cruel to seperate them and I am not really set up to do so, this being my first time.
I have given the niacin amd will see how it goes over the next few days. He is able to eat and drink and right himself so I don't think it is all bad. Just have fingers crossed. We now have 8 little babies, 3 Pekins and 5 Shetlands (or thereabouts seeming as no standard but what I was told)

Attachments

• 20210314_163833.jpg
    20210314_163833.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210314_163833.jpg
    20210314_163833.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210316_075845.jpg
    20210316_075845.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 10
Other people's membranes seem to be white and this looks brown to me???
And definitely can't see a tear?

Attachments

• 20210312_102011.jpg
    20210312_102011.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 52
Any update on the little one?
Doing ok for the most part slightly uneasy on its feet. Going to try niacin today. I have the liquid form but not sure how much to drop in the water?

I also have another that flips overontonirs back too. Been a rough experience so worried about the little guys. I have seperated it incase it is toxicity is this the right thing to do or should I just hope the niacin works?

Thank you I can't seem to know which is best.

Doing ok for the most part slightly uneasy on its feet. Going to try niacin today. I have the liquid form but not sure how much to drop in the water?

I also have another that flips overontonirs back too. Been a rough experience so worried about the little guys. I have seperated it incase it is toxicity is this the right thing to do or should I just hope the niacin works?

Thank you I can't seem to know which is best.
Hopefully someone can chime in on the niacin. I've never used the liquid kind so I'm not sure how much you will need to add. I'm not sure that separation is necessary, but it won't hurt as long as they have heat, food and water.

Here is the best photo I could get

Attachments

• 20210312_065151.jpg
    20210312_065151.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 52
Its fine there is another thread called Duck Egg Pipped the Wrong End? it says it came out just fine BUT you have to make sure it gets therought the membrain

Back
Top Bottom