Pipping 2 days before lock down.

Did you use a pre-calibrated analog thermometer and hydrometer inside your incubator? Two days before lockdown I'm assuming your at day 23? If so your temperature has been too high which causes the ducklings to develop too quickly. As for the egg pipping at the wrong end I'm also assuming you mean an external pip? You may need to assist the hatch if there isn't more progress after 48 hours. Some ducklings do fine when hatching from the wrong end while others need assistance, but it's always best to wait the full 48 hours before stepping it to help.

Thank you for replying.
Temperature is 37.5 for incubation, 65% humidity. I manually turn them every 5 hours set to a timer and when I went to turn them last night (24 hours ago), 4 out of 5 were pipping.
I put them in the other incubator, Temperature 36.5, 77% humidity.
1 died, so I assisted a bit of a zip on the 2nd one only to find the duckling at the wrong end and the yolk right there. I freaked a bit then wrapped it in a damp cloth and proceeded to help it zip the other end. 1 was shrink wrapping so I helped that one too. The egg that hadn't pipped was pipped by this time. It too was the wrong way, so another cloth was used.
They seem to be fine, not stressed and breathing well. One has it's head out now. It was hairy for a while there. They weren't due for lock down till tomorrow.

Thank you for replying.
Temperature is 37.5 for incubation, 65% humidity. I manually turn them every 5 hours set to a timer and when I went to turn them last night (24 hours ago), 4 out of 5 were pipping.
I put them in the other incubator, Temperature 36.5, 77% humidity.
1 died. I assisted a bit of a zip only to find the duckling at the wrong end and the yolk right there. I freaked a bit then wrapped it in a damp cloth and proceeded to help it zip the other end. 1 was shrink wrapping so I helped that one too. The egg that hadn't pipped was pipped by this time. It too was the wrong way, so another cloth was used.
They seem to be fine, not stressed and breathing well. One has it's head out now. It was hairy for a while there. They weren't due for lock down till tomorrow.
There are only two ways duck eggs pip early 1. Being the temperature was too hot and 2. The incubation process was started before being placed in an incubator. If you got them from under a broody then that would definitely be why they hatched early. Congratulations on your new little ones!

Back
Top Bottom