Pit Bull "Mix" targeted for triple S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
animal AND the local health dept. Here the public health dept keeps the records of bites and vaccines of offending dogs.

if you are friendly with the parents of the child who was bitten you may want to suggest reporting it. you never know what that dog may be carrying

When my birds start making a racket I grab the nearest firearm and head out to see what is up. A dog is in my yard going after chickens has little chance at a graceful exit.

If had been me, and I was packin', I would have shot that dog. I like how you handled this whole thing. Confronting the dog, in your case, was the right thing to do.

Didn't anyone call animal control and report an out of control pit bull on the rampage? I agree with SSS but if someone had called animal control the owners would at least have some consequence.

I also get that it's not the dogs fault it's the owners. But there's a point where I disagree because it lends to the thought of "oh poor dog". Well once that dog has bitten it no longer falls into the "poor doggie" category for me.

Quote:
Animal control and local police have been notified in past, even with respect to this dog. No enforcement followed, local law appears very relax in respect to dogs as no leash law on books to my knowledge. Owners appear to have adopted a hands off approach to dog as it is no longer in kennel it is normally housed in. Dog may have been dumped off, transferred to another party or put down by owner without notification to myself or other neighbors with interest in matter. Owners now realize dog is a very serious liability and likely do not have resources to deal with civil law suite. Kid bitten in chest would not get anything out of a legal arrangement and I may be lucky to get reimbursed for two birds lost I valued at $8.00.

Quote:
A child in the dog's crate? You're lucky it didn't make the evening news.

It was a BIG crate and always open. My DS would go in it and call the dog to come in with him. We didn't close the door on my son. As a matter of fact my GD goes in my dogs cage now. I don't know why she does it. She's only 2 and loves being in there with the dog. Maybe it's because she's the only one that can fit in it.

But if a dog is going to be territorial over anything, it will be his 'den'!

Quote:

Scariest thing I see on this post and all comments is the guy with a rifle. Now that is scary, as it can easily shoot from 1/2 mile to 1 mile. He should be advised to not use a rifle for a job that calls for a shotgun.

Gerry

hmm.png

Quote:
Amen to both. And in my experience as a letter carrier for more than 20 years, if you confront or bluff a dog and it doesn't back down, no amount of running will do any good anyway. If it backs down, it's a bad dog. And if it doesn't back down, it's a REALLY REALLY BAD dog.
ep.gif

Only exception to that I know was it's training, and a situation where the carrier was on the dog's property.

So far as using something that isn't a shotgun: Most people I know that have and use guns (self included) are pretty well versed on gun safety and while we'd love to shoot a chicken-killing dog, we won't do it if the shot will put someone in danger. As far as 'unforeseen' accidents, those happen with shotguns, too. I've been known to tote my .357 revolver out there.
hide.gif

I'm blessed in that so far I haven't had to shoot anything. Though I'd love to catch that hawk in my coop again. Darn thing got out before I got to the coop but I'd have bludgeoned that thing to death like I did the possum I caught in there (lucky that: You only get one chance to hit one with a club then you're ribbons, I'd imagine) and done the SSS routine. Even then, my four big Orps had backed into a corner and SCREAMED at it, brandishing beaks, so it didn't get a chicken dinner that time. I nearly killed myself running out there only to see it fly off. Hole fixed, dang city predators! What next, a bum sleeping in it?
idunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom