plase help my dear hen

this morning she ate a little bit, but I don't know if she is drinking any thing. she didn't feel hot this morning.

Ok I would feed her some bread and milk or boiled egg if she will eat it on her good if not i would open her mouth and feed it to her. Does she have sinus drainage or discharge in her eyes. I would just take a box and put newspapers in it and bring her in the house. Check her for mites.

she doesn't have any discharge in her eyes or sinus drainage. also she has this bump on her left wattle.

I gave her some bread soaked in milk. she wouldn't eat it out of my hand so I set it down for her. she started to eat it.

I would try to treat as eggecessive recommends. I would choose Tylan 50. It can be purchased at the feed store for around 12.00 dollars. Dose would be large birds 1/2cc small birds 1/4 cc given once daily into the breast muscle. For 5 days. Tylan 50 has been very successful in treating respitory illness. Remember if what she has is a virtual infection antibiotics won't kill the virus But can be used to prevent deadly secondary infections.i would start to treat her as soon as possible. Injectable are good when they are ill because the dose is more consistent than with a water soluble antibiotic who's dose is contingent on amount drank.when they are ill like that they need a consistent dose. Also the injectable will get into the blood stream faster. I would start treatment as soon as possible. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are dealing with a respiratory disease. Infectious larygotracheitis or ILT can cause bloody mucus from the nose and mouth, but I would observe her for more blood, since it could be an injury. Swollen wattles can be seen in frostbite, coryza and fowl cholera, and maybe other diseases. Definitely isolate this chicken. ILT is a reportable disease in many states. Also reguardingthe Tylan 50 and penicillin, I would not recommend mixing those drugs, I would check those dosages, and Tylan 50 should not be put in the water for treatment.
I agree that it could possibly be ILT. Antibiotics are useless against ILT because it's a virus, but will help with secondary bacterial infections. Birds with ILT are carriers for life.
It would be best to cull and incinerate or bury her deeply. Consider vaccinating the rest of your flock. Here's a link to read about ILT if you wish:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._infectious_laryngotracheitis_in_poultry.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom