Plastic Feed bags

Do you like paper or plastic feed bags better?

• Paper

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Plastic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OSUman

GO BUCKS
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Central Illinois
I went into TSC yesterday and noticed that Purina is changing ALL of their feed bags to those stupid plastic bags. I had thought that they were just doing the plastic thing for the breast cancer fundraiser. I hate the plastic bags because I cant use them to put on the bottom of my pens to keep my birds off of dirt and just on shavings and they're not biodegradable.

Sorry about this rant its just really annoying.

I like the paper ones because I used them to get my fires started in my woodstove.
hit.gif

(Some of my grains still come in paper bags- but some come in those plastic horrible things.)

Last edited:
I have gotten a few feed bags in paper, and later burn the bags in the fire, but I prefer the plastic. In any event I reuse the plastic bags so they never end up in the trash. there is no exact thing I reuse the plastic for, its many things. but the reason I prefer the plastic its because they are stronger, when being transferred from the vehicle, to the tractor and then moved to the back of the barn and tossed on the rack I can be sure it will not burst.

If you fill them with plastic bags, plastic wrapping, carpet remnants and such... they make good archery targets.
smile.png
When the outer layer gets shot up, just cram the whole thing into another bag.

The paper bags can be used to spread over areas of grass you want to kill, then cover with a thick layer of compost or mulch. Cardboard works too.

Paper is also good, as others have said, to start the fireplace.

I'd use the plastic for trash, but we are required to use plastic garbage bags for pickup.

Paper because we lost two hens to feed that had been wet in a basement flood at the county co-op (the plastic hid evidence that water had seeped through the bottom seam of the bag). They can be burned or used as trash bags and degrade just fine. Don't like the plastic at all.

I do prefer the paper, but do have many uses for the plastic. I still request paper bags from the grocery store. I do use the plastic under the regular bedding in my cages. It keeps the animals feet off the wire and I can take the bag out, wipe it off, let it air dry and reuse it the next cleaning. I have also used it for extra insulation in the coop, makes a good draft block.

Back
Top Bottom