Plastic Feed bags

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by OSUman, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Paper

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Plastic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I went into TSC yesterday and noticed that Purina is changing ALL of their feed bags to those stupid plastic bags. I had thought that they were just doing the plastic thing for the breast cancer fundraiser. I hate the plastic bags because I cant use them to put on the bottom of my pens to keep my birds off of dirt and just on shavings and they're not biodegradable.

Sorry about this rant its just really annoying.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I like the paper ones because I used them to get my fires started in my woodstove. [​IMG]

(Some of my grains still come in paper bags- but some come in those plastic horrible things.)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We use ours for trash bags. They do fit the kitchen trash can. [​IMG] Haven't found any other real uses for them, but I'm saving them right now for a lady in Alabama who wants them for crafts.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Making me feel guilty, we just put them in the garbage cans.

5. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I put them on the bottom of the brooder whenever I hatch out quail and sprinkle food on em instead of useing newspaper.

6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I have gotten a few feed bags in paper, and later burn the bags in the fire, but I prefer the plastic. In any event I reuse the plastic bags so they never end up in the trash. there is no exact thing I reuse the plastic for, its many things. but the reason I prefer the plastic its because they are stronger, when being transferred from the vehicle, to the tractor and then moved to the back of the barn and tossed on the rack I can be sure it will not burst.

7. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    If you fill them with plastic bags, plastic wrapping, carpet remnants and such... they make good archery targets. [​IMG] When the outer layer gets shot up, just cram the whole thing into another bag.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    The paper bags can be used to spread over areas of grass you want to kill, then cover with a thick layer of compost or mulch. Cardboard works too.

Paper is also good, as others have said, to start the fireplace.

I'd use the plastic for trash, but we are required to use plastic garbage bags for pickup.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Paper because we lost two hens to feed that had been wet in a basement flood at the county co-op (the plastic hid evidence that water had seeped through the bottom seam of the bag). They can be burned or used as trash bags and degrade just fine. Don't like the plastic at all.

10. Skittlez

Skittlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    I do prefer the paper, but do have many uses for the plastic. I still request paper bags from the grocery store. I do use the plastic under the regular bedding in my cages. It keeps the animals feet off the wire and I can take the bag out, wipe it off, let it air dry and reuse it the next cleaning. I have also used it for extra insulation in the coop, makes a good draft block.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by