Playhouse Chicken Coop?

I love the 3 snap an locks, I’ve had the first one for 3 yrs now. Live in MA. Each has 3 roosts and 4 nesting boxes. The ladies only sleep an lay their eggs in them. poop trays slide out so they get cleaned pretty much everyday. We do the deep litter method in the pen, clean out is in the spring. The playhouse we got for the silkies is really big for the 4 of them. Only one uses the roosting bar. The others like to pile up together on the floor. (Guess that means we could get some more “chicken math”.)
LOL, I don't know what "chicken math " is either. Not sure if that is referring to the 3-4 sq ft per full size chicken

Chicken math is when you say you want 3-4 laying hens and end up with 20 chickens, a dozen ducks, a dozen turkeys, and a pair of geese. ;)
Oh ok, I get it. I keep hearing about how people say how they only wanted a couple but keep getting more. Oh well, I won't be able to since I won't have anymore room. I'm just hoping that there is no such thing as odd ball out since I'm only having 3. They will be fine , right?

Oh ok, I get it. I keep hearing about how people say how they only wanted a couple but keep getting more. Oh well, I won't be able to since I won't have anymore room. I'm just hoping that there is no such thing as odd ball out since I'm only having 3. They will be fine , right?

Many people keep 3 chickens. It's the minimum, but it usually works. :)

3 is fine. :)

For all those that fall for chicken math, there's those of us that opt to limit ourselves to whatever we feel meets our needs and ability to manage. Legally I can have thousands of birds, but I opted to build for 12, so that's my self imposed limit.

Chicken math can go slow too. 🤣
I started with four (🐥 🐥 🐥 🐥).
A year later I extended the coop and build a larger run to make room for a few more ( 🐓🐓🐓🐥 🐥 🐥).
After a couple of years I thought it was time for a few new layers because I expected my older girls would stop laying soon. (🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐥 🐥 🐥)
The coop was okay but they could use a little more run space. So I build a second run-compartment to the run. Had chicks. Sold a chicken, gave away the cockerels, lost one chicken (🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐥).
Now I have seven chickens and hope to get 2 or 3 new layers this year. (🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐥 🐥 🐥)

I wasn't sure but thought this would be recent enough to post to still...
I just needed some experienced opinions and help regarding this playhouse I have the opportunity to get.
It is 6' 3" square and made of cedar wood. I know I will need to do hardware cloth at the windows, where the board is missing at the top on left at back I could remove the others all the way across and put in hardware cloth for additional ventilation.
Easy enough to add a door and build a ramp on backside.
It is 4-5 years old, does not leak, has asphalt roll roofing, and decking for flooring.
I would have to pay $600 plus a mover to relocate it. I'm guessing that will be around $300 based on what I'm seeing online in my area.

received_1157740738037081.jpeg
Screenshot_20210629-200318_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20210629-200331_Messenger.jpg
received_330183888587706.jpeg
received_1630513920476107.jpeg
received_4038878209552625.jpeg
received_1157740738037081.jpeg

So I’m new to this website, and I apologize if I’m not using the right thing to ask questions but I was wondering if this playhouse: https://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft...awHV8vh1h0ari389bXEaAsEYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds would work as a chicken coop?

What could I do to make it more suitable as a chicken coop? Or is that even a good idea?
It depends on your climate, I would say no if you are anywhere cold because of the roof. But I would recommend creating a floor if it doesn't have one and raising it up to wheelbarrow height, I didn't with mine and I regret it.

For the price point and since you would need a lot of hardware cloth I would probably just get a prefab coop from tractor supply.

Back
Top Bottom