Please can some one help I have a very sick Chuck !!

DebCov

Hatching
5 Years
May 20, 2014
My Chicken who is almost 2 years old has become very sick. She has gone very quiet and is isolating herself from the others. She is not responding to any food. Her pupils look dilated and she is heavy breathing with her tail down??? Any ideas what it could be and if I should take her to the vet? Its really upsetting seeing her like this. The other chickens seem fine and there has been no change in diet.

Have you checked her crop? If her crop (located sort of where our thyroids would be located) is impacted, it means she is not getting enough calcium or her body doesn't metabolize it properly. If it is impacted (filled with grit) she can not digest anything. You would feel it being very hard. The vet can extract it. I think they run a tube of water down their throats to soften it...not sure what they do then.

Just a thought and it's quick for you to ascertain the status of her crop.

Welcome to BYC. Can she stand or use her legs? Have you added new chickens lately that might have exposed her to a different strain of coccidiosis? Is there anything she could have eaten that may have poisoned her (an animal carcass, rat poison, lead paint chips?) If a vet is an option, I would take her, but call to make sure they will see chickens. Check her for mites and lice, and feel of her crop. Notice any droppings that she has had. Try to get her to drink water if she will. Here is a recipe for electrolytes:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress

Back
Top Bottom