Please help 2 MO Eggatha Christie(BR) gain weight ****Pic Heavy**** Updated W/video

NorCalChicks101

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2012
CA- Bay Area
I picked up my baby BR chicks from feed store on 3/22, so that makes them just about 2 months old.

Names

Henifer Lopez
Claire Henfield
Consuela
&
Eggatha Christie ( the one in most of the pics here )

I had all four girls (99.5% sure they are girls) in the larger brooder till I noticed Eggatha was acting "not right".
It was then i set up my smaller brooder and quarantined her. I treated her with Sulmet for 3 days and then gave her a 3 day rest period. Since then I have been treating with Corid 20%, today is day 5 of treatment and I want to say she is getting better.

The main issue I am having now is getting her to gain weight again to match up with the rest of the flock.

Eggatha weighs in at around 8.5-9oz. While the others range from 1lb to 1.5 lbs.

Today when I took the brood outside to enjoy the weather the others bullied her when she came close to their cage. (Video of this was captured and is being uploaded. Will post when done.)

Is this simply because she has been out of the flock for a bit? Because she is so much smaller ?

And here are the pix

Before first treatment. You can see Eggatha over to the left there.

Before first treatment. Sleeping standing.

After Sulmet treatment. Before Corid treatment.

Second day of Corid treatment. Posing for the camera ?

True glamor shot.

Are you done cleaning my booder yet?

Chicken standoff? You can clearly see the size diff here. Poor Eggatha, not welcome by the others anymore.

Henifer (Largest hen/alpha) Looking at Eggatha with her "*** MATE" stance.

Group Shot. All giving her the "chicken stink eye"

Henifer being aggro.

Henifer being more aggro. She had just pecked Eggatha's head and is lining up another pecking run.

Videos of her behavior before treatment and of her today are being uploaded as we speak!

Thx for input pplz!

Last edited:
looks like a normal just smaller size chicken to me, you can feed here higher protien food to help her put on wieght. I don't know what to tell you about the other chickens picking on her except there has to be a chicken that is on the bottom of the pecking order and she seems to be it. I let my chickens work that out amongst themselves

looks like a normal just smaller size chicken to me, you can feed here higher protien food to help her put on wieght. I don't know what to tell you about the other chickens picking on her except there has to be a chicken that is on the bottom of the pecking order and she seems to be it. I let my chickens work that out amongst themselves

I was going to try that, but as you can see from the second video just putting her along the side of the cage made the alpha hen come over and grab her and try to yank her into the cage. It seemed very mean, if she got the comb I think there would have been blood
hit.gif
(Time index 55 seconds)

So was she actually sick with something and needed medication or was she just small? Maybe the medications messed up her digestion? Try giving her probiotics. I am not sure. But I am sure when someone knows the right answer they will chime in.

One of my SS had crop issues off n on for over a month. I kept her in the garage for 3 months trying to get her to put on weight because she had lost so much. Her sisters would not let he back in the run or coop with out attacking her and making her bleed. It took weeks for them to get along and not beat up on her. It took her 2 months to gain most of her weigh back but she is still so much smaller then her sisters. Chicks grow so fast the first few weeks of life if your was sick and it took her growing energy to get her better it might take her months before she catches up. As long as she is acting normal, eating and drinking I wouldn't worry to much about her.

Last edited:
Since she had been quarentined, she is not in the pecking order. If she is to be introduced back, they will most certainly fight. This is normal. You will have to make sure she is healthy enough to take the fights and have plenty of hiding spots. Make sure if you do try to reintroduce that she is healthy and active and not prone to getting sick again. You can try feeding her more protein, like eggs, and offer lots of treats and food. She just may have genetics to be smaller or when she was sick her growth was stunted.

So was she actually sick with something and needed medication or was she just small? Maybe the medications messed up her digestion? Try giving her probiotics. I am not sure. But I am sure when someone knows the right answer they will chime in.

One of my SS had crop issues off n on for over a month. I kept her in the garage for 3 months trying to get her to put on weight because she had lost so much. Her sisters would not let he back in the run or coop with out attacking her and making her bleed. It took weeks for them to get along and not beat up on her. It took her 2 months to gain most of her weigh back but she is still so much smaller then her sisters. Chicks grow so fast the first few weeks of life if your was sick and it took her growing energy to get her better it might take her months before she catches up. As long as she is acting normal, eating and drinking I wouldn't worry to much about her.

She was most def sick. Hunched over, fluffed up, tail down & reduced food and water consumption.

As for her tummy being messed up after the sulmet I force fed her food mashed up with yogurt ( she would not eat the yogurt any other way).

After doing that for about 3-4 days i stopped and started giving Poly-vi-sol daily. I then treated with corid 20 % powder for 7 days. Ratio was 1/8 teaspoon (1/2 of a 1/4 teaspoon) per Quart.

She is now on day two of water just with ACV in it. Eating and drinking. Slowly gaining weight. She is at 9.2 oz now.

Based on what your saying I will leave her segregated till she is near their weight. Give her a better chance of not being picked on I hope.

How would you give her "hiding" spots in the coop?

It depends on your coop. I only have a 4x4x4 coop so there wasn't a spot. I have a run that was next to her sisters run so they could see each other during the day and I would bring her in at night and put her back out in the morning. I couldn't leave her out during the night because it was winter and her crop had gotten so big from being impacted and sour that all the massaging I did to it broke her feathers. She was and still is bald there. After they free ranged a few times with out attacking her I put her back in the run with them and gave her hiding places. Then just let them find their place. They still pick on her but not that bad. Mainly they chase her to watch her run I think. Just give her extra loves and extra protein. If she is eating and drinking she'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom