Please help! Chick twisting neck, possible crop problem?

stoutfamily

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
Tempe, AZ
My 7 week old chick seems to be having some sort of neck twisting going on. Almost looks like she's about to throw up. She was running around outside for a bit today and ate some grass but has been doing fine for the past couple hours since we've been inside. Her poos seem normal and she's been eating and drinking all day. It feels like she may have a full crop if I'm feeling in the right place... almost like a little ball in there. Would an impacted crop cause those symptoms? Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Update: just fed her a little bit of butter to help move things out of her crop if that's the problem. Will see if it works
hmm.png

Last edited:
Anyone?
Sorry to bump myself but she doesn't seem to be getting too much better
hmm.png

UPDATE: She is sleeping but keeps shaking/twitching her head. Less throw up looking motions but still doesn't look comfortable.

Last edited:
The grass may have trouble passing. Often they will bobbel their heads to try and grind up the food and move it around. Try giving some olive or corn oil on her food and some in her water, to see if that helps move things along...

thanks! I will try that. She seems to be better this morning. I didn't give her food last night and this morning her crop is empty.

Back
Top Bottom