Please help!! Chickens dying...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wieneke4, May 19, 2017.

1. Wieneke4

Wieneke4 New Egg

May 19, 2017
    I really need some help. One of my cochin bantams died yesterday suddenly. I noticed no signs of lethargy, eating well, drinking well, and was top of her pecking order. White liquid came out of her mouth. I thought it may be ascites. However, today, 3 more cochin bantams passed today and I did notice that 2 more are moving slower than usual. The ones that passed all had white clear liquid coming out of their mouth. None of them were sick prior to this. They have a large coop, which we just moved to another section of the yard. I live in Louisiana, and the temperature has been in the upper 80s, but I have NEVER had this issue before and I've been raising chickens for the last 4 years. I always use the same feed. I bought these chickens at tractor supply as chicks and they are only 3 months old now. I have other chickens-same feed, bought same day, same location- all doing okay. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Or what I can do to help them??

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures, " thread asap. The more details you can provide the more likely that can diagnose the problem. I would think the white liquid would indicate something to them.

Have they had a chance to come in contact with any weed or parasite killer?

biophiliac likes this.
  3. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Don't know if having a necropsy done on the one that passed could be an option for you? So sorry for your loss.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I see that you have already received some good advice on the ER forum. I hope that everything works out for you.

Best wishes
    CT

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC! Other members have pointed you in the right direction, I hope you bird gets better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by