Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
@MGG for early hatchers, do the same time periods needed before intervention apply? Please tell me if I'm wrong, after internal pip, wait up to 24 hours before assisting by opening air cell (shell only and then first membrane and apply coconut oil to look at veining on inner membrane). After external pip, wait up to 12 hours unless exposed membrane starts to look dry and/or tan. Don't let a zip stall for more than 30 minutes.
I feel like I am wrong but I am just worried because I wasn't expecting these chicks for another 2 days.
Believe it or not, I did check the temp in this incubator on multiple occasions with a thermometer that's been checked for accuracy, throughout this incubation.
Do you think these chicks will be OK to go in with my other latest hatchers?
Thank you so much @MGG
Yes, they would still apply. What day is today for them?
You're right with everything, except wait 24 hours after external pip. If the membrane starts to turn dry just up the humidity more. These chicks will be fine to go in with the new ones. How's your CCL boy doing? More active yet? It's so weird these are hatching early.

Humidity is at 71%. I guess I worry about these because they have been in the turner until yesterday afternoon, so I worried they may be malpositioned. Then the 3 that have hatched were bumping around and again moving the eggs, until I could move the chicks. This incubator is so unstable. The temps are not at all stable. It will be stable for a week solid and then start acting up. I just don't understand

It's been at 99° all day today. The fluctuations are why I moved them so late yesterday. I wonder if being in crazy temps throughout incubation and then being moved into a stable incubator will cause any problems?

Today is Day 19
Is it only eggs in a certain area that are hatching? Maybe you have a warm side?
Humidity is at 71%. I guess I worry about these because they have been in the turner until yesterday afternoon, so I worried they may be malpositioned. Then the 3 that have hatched were bumping around and again moving the eggs, until I could move the chicks. This incubator is so unstable. The temps are not at all stable. It will be stable for a week solid and then start acting up. I just don't understand
That's good. I miscounted days on my quail egg batch once, and they were left in the turner. Well, even being turned every hour in the NR, when I woke up on the morning of what actually was day 26, there were 5 out of 8 eggs already hatched. It's really not a big deal. The mother hen still turns her eggs every day. Hens don't "lockdown". She can't count, lol. Yours' are just fine. I think you're worrying too much. You can get the hatched chicks out. Go fast. It will be better for all concerned to remove them now.
It's been at 99° all day today. The fluctuations are why I moved them so late yesterday. I wonder if being in crazy temps throughout incubation and then being moved into a stable incubator will cause any problems?
It's weird. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. You might try contacting the company again. You might just have a faulty machine.
The move won't hurt them at all. It will help them a lot.

It's all of the eggs that were in that incubator. Well, two of them haven't externally pipped yet, but I haven't checked them since earlier this morning. I have been removing the hatched chicks shortly after hatching and placing them into an empty incubator to fluff them up. I'm taking them to join the other chicks now. You're absolutely right. I am worrying way too much. The high temps and early hatching just got me all worked up into worry wort XL. Life has to keep us on our toes somehow, right? Thank you again, for everything! I'm keeping an eye on the ones that have been externally pipped since this morning and the humidity. Thanks again. You're the best!

The newest CCL cockerel is doing better. He seems to be part of the flock rather than looking for a mama all the time. He seems happy to have the new chicks. The Spitz and CCL pullet aren't too sure about them. One of the Easter Eggers looks a lot like a CCL pullet so I imagine that must be part of that one's line, somewhere way back. It's odd how much it looks like one, but the beak and legs are more of a pink color, so I'm sure it's not one. These are Easter Eggers

The newest CCL cockerel is doing better. He seems to be part of the flock rather than looking for a mama all the time. He seems happy to have the new chicks. The Spitz and CCL pullet aren't too sure about them. One of the Easter Eggers looks a lot like a CCL pullet so I imagine that must be part of that one's line, somewhere way back. It's odd how much it looks like one, but the beak and legs are more of a pink color, so I'm sure it's not one. These are Easter Eggers
You might want to make some sort of band for the EE chick that looks like the CCL to wear. It's very easy to mix chicks up.
Chicken Hill Poultry sells some awesome bands btw. Kinda random, but they do work really well.

Back
Top Bottom