Lokibinian

Chirping
May 17, 2017
Hello! I got 15 Cornish X from Purely Poultry (never buying from them again) when in the past three days, each day had one of them die. I didn't know what caused this, but today, another chick died. I saw the legs, and it looked exactly like Marek's!!! I just realized that every one of those chicks that died were in a paralyzed position, and that they did show symptoms of Marek's! I feel so stupid! I panicked, and, knowing that Marek's is highly contagious, whisked the remaining chicks outside and am currently sanitizing the container with white vinegar and changing the bedding. I'm worried, because I had ANOTHER BROODER with several other, older chicks in the same room!!! Marek's travels on infected dust, so I'm in the process of cleaning the other brooders too, and sanitizing the room... please, help!!! I don't know what to do! I can't let my remaining chicks die!

How old are these chicks? What are you feeding them? Have you sent any for a necropsy?

Marek's has an incubation period of several weeks, not days. I'd get some poultry nutri-drench, and get a new bag of feed by a different company if possible.

What does your brooder look like?
Are you heating only one side?
How was/is their poo?

What does your brooder look like?
Are you heating only one side?
How was/is their poo?

My brooder is a plastic tote, with pine shavings for bedding. I'm using a Eco-Glow, and their poo is a bit on the runny side, some are solid though...

Plastic totes (to me) are fairly small.
How are you heating only 1 side of it?
They may not have enough room,.

Can you post a pic of your brooder?

Back
Top Bottom