Please Help, Hens are bare on backs

Lehi Cougar

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 13, 2015
I noticed this started a couple of weeks ago, but it has gotten worse and looks sore. Tried looking for mites or lice, not sure exactly what to look for. The feathers have deinetly been pecked out, just not sure by who. They have been in the run for about a year and this is the first time it has happened. The run is 6x12 for 5 birds so I don't think they are over crowded and we let them free range when we can. Any suggestions

Interesting as I had this happen to one out of 9 hens. She had a similar bald spot for ages, with not signs of mites etc, and it didn't spread to the other hens. Interested in seeing what the replies are as we didn't ever solve the problem as the hen ended up being euthanized for a severely prolapsed oviduct.

Check at the base of the feathers around the vent for clusters of nits... It'll look like tiny clumps of white foam. Those are eggs. You might also see little pieces of cayenne pepper run away into the surrounding feathers... Red mites are nasty beasties.

If you see any of that, grab some Sevin dust from your local garden/home improvement store and give your ladies a dust bath around the vent, under their wings, along their backs, and up their necks as best you can. Do this every seven days for three weeks.

Absent of external parasites and roosters, I'd say you've got a bully chicken that's either mounting your hens as a show of dominance or pulling out their feathers.

You can try covering up the area with iodine or Blue Kote to hide the tender, pink skin... Having angry tissue exposed like that is a target for the flock. You could also opt for a Hen Saddle to help the feathers regrow and give them a little protection from the elements.

Other than that, intense observation is needed. Grab a chair, a book, and prepare to sit outside and wait until you see the behavior. If they are picking and EATING the feathers, you could have a protein deficiency in the flock.

MrsB

Mrs B. Thanks sop much for the suggestions. I will try to keep an eye out for what is happening. They do have oyster shells available so I wouldn't expect it to me a protein deficiency, but it is sad to see the pretty hens starting to look so ragged.

two things, one, it might be mites. two, it could be your rooster mounting the hens….
his sharp claws/spurs can loosen and pull feathers off the hens backs...
mypetchicken.com supplies "saddles" for cases like this...

Back
Top Bottom