I think it depends more on your desire and ability to care for him, or fit him into your life. He could probably go either way, safety and comfort with you(or another pigeon keeper) or life with a feral flock. :D What is your state or location? Good Luck deciding. If you lived near me I'd be glad to take him!
Sure! I'll attach a photo I thought was rather sweet. :)
I live in Montana. As each day goes by, I'm getting more and more attached to him.. I imagine in a few weeks I won't be able to let him go!:love But, I also want to do what is in his best interest. The only thing though is that I have a cat, so I'm thinking I'll have to make a setup for him that is safe, but one that also gives him plenty of time to socialize with me. I have chickens, but some can be pretty aggressive so I don't see them fitting well together...

Attachments

• IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    355.2 KB · Views: 22
:love ...Is he bonding to you? If he stays with you he will probably live longer and more comfortably than in a feral flock. ....forget that, I can tell from your answer you're keeping him!:lau

:love ...Is he bonding to you? If he stays with you he will probably live longer and more comfortably than in a feral flock. ....forget that, I can tell from your answer you're keeping him!:lau
Hahaha!! I think you're right...:D He is definitely bonding, that's why I don't think I have much choice! Thank you for your advice.:)

Looks like cats and pigeons can get on just fine - there are a few videos I've seen of persistent male doves doing their dance for cats.

We have hand reared finches and cats. When they are having time out of their cage two of the cats get shut away with their food and the third is deaf and half blind, so even if she catches a glimpse of the finches (she's usually asleep anyway so oblivious) she can't keep track of it and just wonders what she saw before going back to sleep.

You pigeon will just need a big cage so it can stretch its wings and some time out of the cage for a good fly about. If you aren't home a lot it may need a friend. If you are home a lot it will view you as its mate and bond very closely with you. This is a good website for some info: http://www.pigeonrescue.org/birds/pigeons-doves-as-pets/

Looks like cats and pigeons can get on just fine - there are a few videos I've seen of persistent male doves doing their dance for cats.

We have hand reared finches and cats. When they are having time out of their cage two of the cats get shut away with their food and the third is deaf and half blind, so even if she catches a glimpse of the finches (she's usually asleep anyway so oblivious) she can't keep track of it and just wonders what she saw before going back to sleep.

You pigeon will just need a big cage so it can stretch its wings and some time out of the cage for a good fly about. If you aren't home a lot it may need a friend. If you are home a lot it will view you as its mate and bond very closely with you. This is a good website for some info: http://www.pigeonrescue.org/birds/pigeons-doves-as-pets/

Hehe, well that's hopeful to hear! I'll have to look up videos like that..I was thinking that the situation was looking a bit more grim.
I work from home so it's a perfect situation in that way. I imagine I'll get to spend a lot of time with him. I really appreciate your advice and the website, thank you! :)

Pigeons are great. I'v been researching them lately as I want to build a small loft and keep a few Homers:D. Your has a cute pied pattern now, wonder what he'll look like once grown? Hope you will check in with an updated pic once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom