Pics

AndreaR4

Songster
6 Years
May 27, 2017
I found a baby pigeon that fell out of the nest 3 days ago. We've made quite a bit of progress and he is now eating out of my hand, although I'm still lost on how to care for him in many ways.
I'm having a hard time figuring out if I've fed him enough. I'm attaching a picture of him after eating 30 defrosted peas and 30cc of wild bird seed. He is now able to eat out of my hand and will drink water on his own. Do I offer him seed at all times? I'm worried his crop will overly fill if I do, but he is always crying for food.
I parted his feathers and can clearly see his crop, but I don't know how big it should be. Once I fed him and it was marble sized and I'm assuming I overdid it?
Can you please give me some guidance on how to care for the little guy. Do you think the best thing would be to release or keep him? This is all very new to me.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• babypigeon.jpg
    babypigeon.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 169
Hi , welcome to BYC . I never raised pigeons but Im about sure they wont over eat if they are eating on their own. If you were tube feeding thats a whole different story. It looks like a fledgling. I bet it was trying its wings . If it is crying for food let it eat.

Hi , welcome to BYC . I never raised pigeons but Im about sure they wont over eat if they are eating on their own. If you were tube feeding thats a whole different story. It looks like a fledgling. I bet it was trying its wings . If it is crying for food let it eat.
Great common sense advice, thank you for your help! :) It does look like a fledgling..he is able to fly small distances.

Do you think the best thing would be to release or keep him? This is all very new to me.
I think it depends more on your desire and ability to care for him, or fit him into your life. He could probably go either way, safety and comfort with you(or another pigeon keeper) or life with a feral flock. :D What is your state or location? Good Luck deciding. If you lived near me I'd be glad to take him!

Back
Top Bottom