Can you check for a stuck egg? Get a glove, some lubricant, and insert a finger into her vent (not too far - just a 1/2 inch or so). If she's egg bound, you should feel one in there. You can also feel under her vent for an egg.
I don't feel anything hard in the area.. mind you, I didn't go IN. However, I could try. 😬 All I feel in that area is squishy.

If she did have a stuck egg, this would be day 3.. wouldn't she be far worse?

She would have probably passed away by day 3.

Reading through everything is making me wonder. I am NOT an expert, but I've seen the same symptoms in 2 of my hens over the years. My guess would be an infection in her reproductive system. That *might* be treatable with antibiotics. I'm going to be honest, though - I've not been able to save a hen that's gotten to that point.

Is a vet an option?

She would have probably passed away by day 3.

Reading through everything is making me wonder. I am NOT an expert, but I've seen the same symptoms in 2 of my hens over the years. My guess would be an infection in her reproductive system. That *might* be treatable with antibiotics. I'm going to be honest, though - I've not been able to save a hen that's gotten to that point.

Is a vet an option?
Unfortunately I don't know of any vets in the area that treat chickens. 🤔 I may call around tomorrow & see see if I can get any recommendations!

I thought it might be to that point though. I would rather her not suffer. If it came to that point, I would definitely do the most humane thing.

At 110 degrees and her behavior that you described it sounds like the heat is affecting her. Some chickens will even die of heat exhaustion when it's 104+. The diarrhea can be caused by drinking excess fluids trying to cool down and staye hydrated (also the cause of the poopy butt). The droopiness happens when electrolytes are lost faster than they are replaced (think if you were to stand outside all day when it's 110 degrees how you would feel exhausted, droopy, lightheaded and possibly feel faint). Loss of appetite and no longer laying both can happen when a chickens body is overheated as their bodies will slow down functions that create heat which result in eating less and little to no eggs.

It's east enough to treat for egg binding and either help resolve it or rule it out. Give one calcium tablet at least 600mg. Calcium citrate is best but Tums will work in a pinch. Give immediately directly into her beak. Pry the beak open and shove in the tablet.

Remove her to a hospital crate for now. She needs a quiet stress free spot to relax so the egg can slip out. Be sure she has plenty of water to drink. It might help is she has a place to rest where it's not above 80F.

At 110 degrees and her behavior that you described it sounds like the heat is affecting her. Some chickens will even die of heat exhaustion when it's 104+. The diarrhea can be caused by drinking excess fluids trying to cool down and staye hydrated (also the cause of the poopy butt). The droopiness happens when electrolytes are lost faster than they are replaced (think if you were to stand outside all day when it's 110 degrees how you would feel exhausted, droopy, lightheaded and possibly feel faint). Loss of appetite and no longer laying both can happen when a chickens body is overheated as their bodies will slow down functions that create heat which result in eating less and little to no eggs.
This makes sense to me! I have been having to get IV bags every 2 weeks because I'm so sensitive to dehydration! My only concern is the bloating. Do you think that could be a result from the heat as well?

It could just be heat. My gut us telling me otherwise, but my gut has been wrong! And I'm ultra sensitive to it because I just lost a hen yesterday to the same symptoms.

I'd treat for egg binding. Cool ger off. See what happens. I sure hope I'm wrong!

It's east enough to treat for egg binding and either help resolve it or rule it out. Give one calcium tablet at least 600mg. Calcium citrate is best but Tums will work in a pinch. Give immediately directly into her beak. Pry the beak open and shove in the tablet.

Remove her to a hospital crate for now. She needs a quiet stress free spot to relax so the egg can slip out. Be sure she has plenty of water to drink. It might help is she has a place to rest where it's not above 80F.
I have some calcium tabs. The only problem is they're like horse pills! 😖 she's a bant breed.. will it hurt her?!

You'd be surprised what a chicken can swallow. It should slide right down the esophagus and into the crop. If you are still worried, break the tablet in half and give each separately.

Continue with another one tomorrow if she still hasn't laid the egg. You need to inspect what comes out of her. If the egg is collapsed, she may need an oral antibiotic since broken yolk harbors and grows bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom