Please help. Immediately!

The only problem with the heat lamp is it won't settle down, it keeps looking for mama. I cant bring it a friend and swaddling it (carefully) isn't working. I can't tell if it's moving around cuz it's too hot and trying to escape the heat, or cuz its too lonely to sleep.

I think moving around is a better sign than just lying there. Sounds like he's alert and aware that he's somewhere else. Do you have some sort of stuffed animal that you can put in there with him? Something for him to try and snuggle up with. When he's moving around, is he going away from the area beneath the lamp or towards it?

I'm gonna guess either route is a huge risk. Poor little chick. It's still mostly holding it's head over it's back. Not sure what that means.

It's not interested in drinking anything, and I put it back in the cloth I have under the heatlamp. It's sleeping technically, but it doesn't look healthy. It's hard to tell it's alive. I don't have a better heating thing then my heat lanp or my body and blankets. And I doubt I can get my body heat anywhere near 95 degrees.
Correct on the body heat. Sometimes you have to open the little beak to drip the electrolyte solution in. It's not only cold but dehydrated. It's very important to keep that lil chick hydrated. If you can, set your alarm for every 2 hours tonight and literally open it's beak to drop the electrolyte solution in. Even if you drop the solution from your finger tips. Good Luck with your lil chick. Hope this helps. Are you able to slip it back under the Mom tonight?

I found one of my hens chick's just outside without mama. I know enough about chicks to tell that was way too cold. It's been under the heat lamp for bout 2. It keeps craning its neck over it's back and to can't keep it's eyes open. Despite my effort's it won't settle and sleep under the heat lamp. I'm holding it under my blanket, since it wants a heartbeat and it needs to sleep. It's about a day old. What should I do here?
Can you get it to eat at all or drink. If you could get it to drink some electrolyte water that would help I would think. It will need some fluids and some nourishment soon as the amount of calories from the yolk will soon be running out after birth plus 48 to 72 hours you are skating on thin ice between the 48 and 72 hour period of no nourishment or fluids being taken in if he or she is not doing so it needs to be for sure. I have heard boiled egg is good also if they will not eat also. Oh. Do you have any other chicks that you could put it with for a while to comfort it or show it the ropes on eating and drinking? Sometimes that is all it takes and just one time is enough. Good luck and I wish you and he or she the very best. I am not the greatest help but maybe you pull him through just the same. 🙏🐓🙏🙂

Back
Top Bottom