Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Hovabator Genesis 1588

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • IncuView All-In-One

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Brinsea

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
I haven't ever heard that, but I am not a big fan of styrofoam incubators. I've tried a number of them, but they're very finicky and are pretty tough to get to stay steady imo. My Nurture Right 360 is my all time favorite incubator. I have not tried the Incuview, and I'd maybe like to someday, but my NR works fine for big eggs too. I just have to manually turn them because they're too big for the turner. Quail eggs don't tend to work well in the turner though. I had problems with them getting turned pointy end up after a while. But I had 20 quail eggs in there and it's some work to hand turn them, so I just left the turner unplugged, and came downstairs (to the basement, where I keep my incubator) a few times a day to plug in the turner and then watch the turner turn them. There's a button on top that you can push and it will turn them. Then I just fixed any that got turned weird and unplugged the turner again. That way it didn't turn them while I wasn't watching. It worked fine and I got an 100% hath rate with all 20 hatching. I sold some of them and kept my favorites. It works perfectly for chicken eggs and duck eggs, but geese/turkeys/peacocks are too big.
It is interesting what different opinions everybody has! It makes me wonder, is it the brand, the incubator, or the person?

Sounds like you have lots if incubator experience! I'm now kinda thinking of taking the Brinsea off the options list because of the things you have said, and also because it's a little out of the price range.

I probably have too much experience with different incubators, lol. It became a joke for a little while and my friends gave me incubators. I've had 7 different brands now I think? lol
I gave away most of them and I'm now down to two NR360s and 1 IncuView. Those are my favorites and between those I can hatch anything with ease.

I haven't ever heard that, but I am not a big fan of styrofoam incubators. I've tried a number of them, but they're very finicky and are pretty tough to get to stay steady imo. My Nurture Right 360 is my all time favorite incubator. I have not tried the Incuview, and I'd maybe like to someday, but my NR works fine for big eggs too. I just have to manually turn them because they're too big for the turner. Quail eggs don't tend to work well in the turner though. I had problems with them getting turned pointy end up after a while. But I had 20 quail eggs in there and it's some work to hand turn them, so I just left the turner unplugged, and came downstairs (to the basement, where I keep my incubator) a few times a day to plug in the turner and then watch the turner turn them. There's a button on top that you can push and it will turn them. Then I just fixed any that got turned weird and unplugged the turner again. That way it didn't turn them while I wasn't watching. It worked fine and I got an 100% hath rate with all 20 hatching. I sold some of them and kept my favorites. It works perfectly for chicken eggs and duck eggs, but geese/turkeys/peacocks are too big.
So, I would probably have to hand turn my button quail eggs? They're just so tiny

It is interesting what different opinions everybody has! It makes me wonder, is it the brand, the incubator, or the person?

It's a personal preference but if you haven't had anything other than what you're using then it's tough to compare. There's nothing "wrong" with Hovabator, it's a great incubator and my favorite of styrofoam incubators but I much prefer the plastic incubators for ease of cleaning, and most of all I LOVE being able to see everything so much easier! I have spent so many many hours sitting in front of my incubators and watching chicks hatch. Lol

Pictures in my NR360s and IncuView

2-18-20 Silkie Hatching (2).jpg
6-19-20 (3).JPG

It's a personal preference but if you haven't had anything other than what you're using then it's tough to compare. There's nothing "wrong" with Hovabator, it's a great incubator and my favorite of styrofoam incubators but I much prefer the plastic incubators for ease of cleaning, and most of all I LOVE being able to see everything so much easier! I have spent so many many hours sitting in front of my incubators and watching chicks hatch. Lol

Pictures in my NR360s and IncuView

View attachment 2482793View attachment 2482794
Yes, I really do wish I could see the chicks inside! That is the one thing I don't like about Hovabators.

I don't know. I incubate everything the same way and use my five different calibrated/salt tested thermometers and hydrometers.
So, I would probably have to hand turn my button quail eggs? They're just so tiny
How many are you planning on incubating? You might have to. I've never had a problem with hand-turning them because I'm homeschooled and don't really have to go anywhere though, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be for you to be around to turn them. Most incubators don't do well with quail eggs from what I've seen, except for those that have a separate turner specifically for quail.

Back
Top Bottom