Please help me Make Easter Eggers for my flock

BokBokBeginner

Songster
Oct 14, 2020
Australia
Screenshot_2021-01-15-12-38-55.png
Could any of you please help me?
I have only successfully hatched 2 Lavender Araucanas a roo and a hen. I will pen them together as I hope to add more from their eggs when they mature. I thought I might also add some other breeds to make
Screenshot_2021-01-15-12-38-26.png
easter eggers so I am thinking of putting a couple of the other heritage breed hens I have in that same pen. I'm wondering what the outcome will be my pullets I have are heritage
Gold laced blue Wyandotte
Black Australorp
Rhode island red
Also 2 mixed breed pullets
Araucana/barred rock
Isa brown/white leghorn

Any info you could give me would be great thank you.

Last edited:
Basically if you put a blue egg layer with a brown egg layer, you'll get olive eggers. If you keep breeding those offspring with breeds that lay other colors (dark brown, white, blue, brown, etc.) you should end up with a batch of birds that lays a variety of color. I, however am happy with the first generation olive eggers, I think their eggs are stunning.

Basically if you put a blue egg layer with a brown egg layer, you'll get olive eggers. If you keep breeding those offspring with breeds that lay other colors (dark brown, white, blue, brown, etc.) you should end up with a batch of birds that lays a variety of color. I, however am happy with the first generation olive eggers, I think their eggs are stunning.
I agree. F1 olive Eggers have wonderful egg colors. That’s what I’ve always wanted in my egg basket, but I have never had an olive egger.

Wow thank you all so much that is incredibly useful information and those charts are great help too. I'm so excited to grow a beautiful coloured flock with gorgeously decorated egg baskets😍

All those hens with your Araucana rooster will make "Easter eggers" that lay various shades of green eggs, providing your rooster has two copies of the blue gene (he should). "olive eggers" are a result of crossing a blue layer with a dark brown layer such as Marans or dark strain Welsummer.
If you bred one of the sons or a non blue layer to the resulting pullets their offspring will lay a variety of greens, creams, tans and maybe even pinks.
If your Araucana/barred rock hen is barred their chicks will also be sex-links

All those hens with your Araucana rooster will make "Easter eggers" that lay various shades of green eggs, providing your rooster has two copies of the blue gene (he should). "olive eggers" are a result of crossing a blue layer with a dark brown layer such as Marans or dark strain Welsummer.
If you bred one of the sons or a non blue layer to the resulting pullets their offspring will lay a variety of greens, creams, tans and maybe even pinks.
If your Araucana/barred rock hen is barred their chicks will also be sex-links
Oh wow thank you AusHen so for colourful eggs I should hatch a boy to add to the group with his dad (my lavender Araucana) also add maybe 1 of each maran and welsummer hens and I will have a rainbow box😍?
Also please can you tell me more about the sexlink please with my little barred beauty?
I'm so new to this but so inlove with my little flock and I can't wait for my rainbow egg mix😍🐣💕

That's right. I see you're also in Australia, try and find a breeder who works on egg colour with Welsummers, Avgen line or at least Avgen/Aussie line as our full Aussie lines lack in the colour department. Some breeders are also working on speckled eggs!

When you breed a solid rooster over barred/cuckoo hens you can sex the chicks at hatch. Females will hatch black and males barred so will be black with white head spot.

That's right. I see you're also in Australia, try and find a breeder who works on egg colour with Welsummers, Avgen line or at least Avgen/Aussie line as our full Aussie lines lack in the colour department. Some breeders are also working on speckled eggs!

When you breed a solid rooster over barred/cuckoo hens you can sex the chicks at hatch. Females will hatch black and males barred so will be black with white head spot.
Oh wow thank you so so much for your help yes I am in South Australia so I will talk to some breeders for sure about the Welsummers omg they are such a pretty bird too so I am super excited now thanks again😍

Back
Top Bottom