Please, help me... trying get broody hen to adopt chicks

This comment is so wonderful- thank you!
I read this Sunday and haven't had a chance to comment until now.
Yep, stopped the scratch like you said. She's eating the chick food well now and teaching her chickies. (When she was sitting on eggs, scratch was the only thing I could get her to eat.)

Thanks for advice on my Welsummer and Cream Legbar.
Weird thing though, both chicks with feathered legs have feathers on their middle toes...humm....?
Maybe Buff will let me take pictures of them...

Buff played you! :lau She would not have starved to death... in fact she was probably eating and you didn't see her. :confused: Broody's should ONLY eat when they leave the nest to poo. I only provide food near by when chicks are present that haven't been taken out yet. Animals learn quickly how to train us! ;)

With hatchery chicks, they may not cull for middle toe feathers in their Marans. (I know some are keeping straight comb Wyandottes in their breeding chain too :mad:) Since I breed them (Marans), it's a fault I cull for. Most hatchery birds are meant to be a good representation, even if they don't meet the standard of perfection to a T. I would expect the Cochin to have much more feathers on the legs/feet. If they even sent you the right birds! :p

Would love to get a peek of the two side by side to see if I can tell the difference! Might have to sneak them out at night to get pics. :pop

I don't know if I should start another thread... but I'll go ahead and ask. :)

1. When should Buff and babies go for a walk outside their brooder?
I've left their door open a few times and she's only gone as far as the shed door.
2. What material do you use is for dust bathing?
Normally, the hens have access to all of the dry dirt under their coop and dust bathe there.
IMG_20170712_125556155.jpg
IMG_20170712_131022141_HDR.jpg

Above: Buff's current set up. I only open the door when supervised.

Buff played you! :lau She would not have starved to death... in fact she was probably eating and you didn't see her. :confused: Broody's should ONLY eat when they leave the nest to poo. I only provide food near by when chicks are present that haven't been taken out yet. Animals learn quickly how to train us! ;)

With hatchery chicks, they may not cull for middle toe feathers in their Marans. (I know some are keeping straight comb Wyandottes in their breeding chain too :mad:) Since I breed them (Marans), it's a fault I cull for. Most hatchery birds are meant to be a good representation, even if they don't meet the standard of perfection to a T. I would expect the Cochin to have much more feathers on the legs/feet. If they even sent you the right birds! :p

Would love to get a peek of the two side by side to see if I can tell the difference! Might have to sneak them out at night to get pics. :pop

Cool, good to know. Let's see if I can get more pics...

My hens determine when to take the chicks out, according to when THEY are comfortable. Some ladies bring them out at day 3... some have taken 2 weeks! There is usually a slow movement towards the outside. I learned not to force the issue or worry about it. Set up looks good. :thumbsup

For dust bathing, I use dirt. :p I hate DE and detest it's use.

Aww, you've ALMOST given me chick fever! :love :oops:

Cool, good to know. Let's see if I can get more pics...

:lauYep, Buff played me for scratch.

Right now, I think Buff is trying to go outside with her chicks. But, every time she walks through the door, one of two of her chicks stay back. Buff then runs back into the brooder when they start screaming for mom.
Poor Buff:clap

My hens determine when to take the chicks out, according to when THEY are comfortable. Some ladies bring them out at day 3... some have taken 2 weeks! There is usually a slow movement towards the outside. I learned not to force the issue or worry about it. Set up looks good. :thumbsup

For dust bathing, I use dirt. :p I hate DE and detest it's use.

Aww, you've ALMOST given me chick fever! :love :oops:

Resist the chick fever!! Lol

Should I create a dirt bust bathing area inside the brooder cage? Space would tight though.

She is doing great! What you describe is how it usually goes. Most hens are really good at not leaving chicks behind. They'll be out before you know it. :love

And then they'll be grown. :hit The cycle starts again. ;) :oops: :smack

I'm so burnt out on chicks and broody right now, it's exhausting. :th So I'm raising ducks! :woot That'll help right?! :confused: :lau

Seriously though, in order to achieve my FBCM (French Black Copper Marans) breeding goals I should start hatching buy August. :old:barnie :p :cool:

So happy to share your excitement! Broody's and babies are a sight to behold and a treasure! :celebrate :highfive:

This is great my buffy went broody and I just sent off for chicks for her.It being so hot I didn't want her to stay there for that long of time in a hot shed.I have been wanting some Speckled Sussex any way. They should get here next week.15 was the minimum I could order so I got 5 sussex and 10 hatchery choice hope she can handle them. :th

This is great my buffy went broody and I just sent off for chicks for her.It being so hot I didn't want her to stay there for that long of time in a hot shed.I have been wanting some Speckled Sussex any way. They should get here next week.15 was the minimum I could order so I got 5 sussex and 10 hatchery choice hope she can handle them. :th

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

15 would be impressive. :eek:

Hope the adoption goes well for you. :fl

Be prepared for your shipped chicks with electrolytes and such. Hopefully your shipping will go better than mine has! But it IS my route that is a MAJOR part of my problem with shipping. They will still be nice and young when they arrive, so you have a couple days to make sure they are good and mobile and eating/drinking before hustling to tuck them under mama. :)

Back
Top Bottom