Please help - molting or otherwise?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OrganicLoving, Feb 2, 2014.

1. OrganicLoving

OrganicLoving New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    I have recently noticed that one of my Bantam hens is bare underneath. The rest of her feathers are intact and has no signs of lice or parasites that I can see. She dust bathes regularly and is eating/drinking normally. I believe that she is molting as she hasn't laid eggs for a few days, however she only laid her first egg a month ago and would be well under 6 months old. It is also the middle of Summer in Australia.

Do you think she is just molting, or could there be another cause?
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Weber Girls

Weber Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    Hi,

She is probably just molting. I wouldn't be concerned unless her behavior and eating habits change. I had a hen that was about 6 to 7 months of age that only laid a few eggs before she started to molt. After she began this process, she didn't lay a single egg for 4 months. Then again, when she began molting, it was the beginning of fall, and the weather began changing. So this weather change could be a reason why my hen didn't lay for 4 months. Typically, molting shouldn't last more than a few months. Hope this helps!

See this link for reference:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/231069/how-long-after-moulting-will-she-start-laying-again

3. OrganicLoving

OrganicLoving New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    Thank you! I'm just worried she could be ill- whether it's lice or something else!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by