Please help - molting or otherwise?

OrganicLoving

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
I have recently noticed that one of my Bantam hens is bare underneath. The rest of her feathers are intact and has no signs of lice or parasites that I can see. She dust bathes regularly and is eating/drinking normally. I believe that she is molting as she hasn't laid eggs for a few days, however she only laid her first egg a month ago and would be well under 6 months old. It is also the middle of Summer in Australia.

Do you think she is just molting, or could there be another cause?
Thanks!
D.gif

Hi,

She is probably just molting. I wouldn't be concerned unless her behavior and eating habits change. I had a hen that was about 6 to 7 months of age that only laid a few eggs before she started to molt. After she began this process, she didn't lay a single egg for 4 months. Then again, when she began molting, it was the beginning of fall, and the weather began changing. So this weather change could be a reason why my hen didn't lay for 4 months. Typically, molting shouldn't last more than a few months. Hope this helps!

See this link for reference:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/231069/how-long-after-moulting-will-she-start-laying-again

Back
Top Bottom