Please help! My baby chick is almost dead!

Chicken0Boy

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Upstate of South Carolina
Ok so i just got my baby chicks home.....one is not moving only its beak! What do i need to do? I have its light on it and it is on a heat pad....anything else? Oh, and whats the measurments for sugar in water? Please help I need it! Sorry if I had a typo I am typing fast!

If not some sugar water just a couple of drops. I'm assuming you got them from the hatchery. I always taste it to make sure it's sweet.

Last edited:
I usually put about a tablespoon of sugar in about a cup of water. Be careful feeding by dropper, it's easy to drown them. You can also try a drop of baby vitamins (without iron) if you have them.

Sometimes weak chicks die - it's nothing you did or didn't do, it just happens sometimes.
hugs.gif

You can mix a teaspoon per quart of water. But only for a half of a day at a time, otherwise it can cause poop issues. How hot is the brooder? You say it's under a light and on a heat pad. Maybe it could be too hot for it.

Didn't see if they were hatchery delivered chicks, but it's good to be ready with the sugar water. I usually give to them for a couple of days or more.

Sugar water is not a magic cure although it can help. I have never used it for any extended period of time as it is not healthy for them. The idea is for it to give them a quick pick-me-up to get them moving and you would probably be fine just mixing it to your best judgement. Sweet but not too sweet. I am sorry you lost your baby, that is hard. Most likely there is nothing you could have done, some chicks just don't make it, especially if they were shipped....
hugs.gif
You did the right thing keeping it warm and trying to get it to drink some water....

Quote:
Are you monitoring the temperature by a thermometer? The sugar is 3 tablespoons per quart, 12 per gallon. That's for the first few days, dip their beaks into the water as soon as you get them, that tells them what is in the waterer.

Back
Top Bottom