Please help. My ducks leg is very swollen

coolguy221822

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2015
My duck got a minor cut about a month ago. He started to prefer using only 1 foot for a month too. I posted about it and they said it was probably the tendons healing and stuff. He stayed that way for about a month, getting worse. Now im worried for him. I cant get to a vet. I saw him today, and His leg is very swollen. Ill get a picture. I dont know what to do. I have antibiotics and poultry nutridrench and bandage supplies. What causes this swelling? Will he die? Thank you

I would start antibiotics - oral, a.s.a.p. I am not an antibiotics expert, I often look up what @casportpony has posted for details.

And I think I would also wrap the leg in Epsom salt compress a few times a day.

We don't know how it will go with a serious health problem, but from what I have read on the Duck Forum, ducks have a strong will to live, and with the right help, they can bounce back from very tough illnesses. So get the antibiotic going and if it does not seem to do anything in 3 or 4 days, I would try something else (in case of antibiotic resistance).

And yes I would have him on nutridrench a couple of times a week. Try to reduce stress in his life, also, like making sure if it's hot he has good shade and cool swim water, which you probably already do . . . just consider his environment and make sure he doesn't have to deal with additional stress. Treats may help cheer both of you up.

I would start antibiotics - oral, a.s.a.p. I am not an antibiotics expert, I often look up what @casportpony
has posted for details.

And I think I would also wrap the leg in Epsom salt compress a few times a day.

We don't know how it will go with a serious health problem, but from what I have read on the Duck Forum, ducks have a strong will to live, and with the right help, they can bounce back from very tough illnesses.  So get the antibiotic going and if it does not seem to do anything in 3 or 4 days, I would try something else (in case of antibiotic resistance).

And yes I would have him on nutridrench a couple of times a week.  Try to reduce stress in his life, also, like making sure if it's hot he has good shade and cool swim water, which you probably already do . . . just consider his environment and make sure he doesn't have to deal with additional stress.  Treats may help cheer both of you up. 
right after i made this thread, i gave him an Epsom salt soak. Also gave him some nutridrench. Ill start antibiotics right away in the morning. When he first started limping, i gave him antibiotics because of the cut just to be safe, but im not sure if it worked, because i only did it for 3 days.

I think ten to fourteen days is what the vet has had us do for infections. Sometimes it takes longer depending on the situation.
Gave antibiotics for 7 days, nothing. I tried putting on an Epson salt compress, but he just kicked it off. His leg is very swollen and he can barley walk. If i cant get this fixed, i think i might bring him to the wildlife care center.I dont want him to die or be in pain.

When I do compresses, I hold the duck and the compress for ten minutes.

Nothing seems to work, but he is seeming slightly better. As a last resort, is their an injectable antibiotic i can give him? I just wanna say thank you for all your help through this ordeal.

Back
Top Bottom