Please help my hen whats wrong with its neck

Chuckenman

Chirping
Jun 23, 2021
I just came from work its 6 pm and opened the chickens and found my hen's neck/mouth part is bloated. I called the vet and they said ill need to come tomorrow since past 6 is lockdown where i live. I felt her neck part and something long and hard is stuck in there. Shes very slow too and just stands still and closes her eyes. Shes also trying to get this thing out by extending her neck and opening her mouth but it doesnt come out. The weather where i live has been very bad rain all the day and they were in their coop till now. Wind is blowing fast so im worried something hard flew in their coop and she ate it. It doesnt seem like a thing tho it almost feels like her bone since its also fixated. Im going to the vet first thing in the morning but in the meantime what should i do? Sorry for my bad english im not native

Attachments

• IMG_20210623_173220.jpg
    IMG_20210623_173220.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 25
I just came from work its 6 pm and opened the chickens and found my hen's neck/mouth part is bloated. I called the vet and they said ill need to come tomorrow since past 6 is lockdown where i live. I felt her neck part and something long and hard is stuck in there. Shes very slow too and just stands still and closes her eyes. Shes also trying to get this thing out by extending her neck and opening her mouth but it doesnt come out. The weather where i live has been very bad rain all the day and they were in their coop till now. Wind is blowing fast so im worried something hard flew in their coop and she ate it. It doesnt seem like a thing tho it almost feels like her bone since its also fixated. Im going to the vet first thing in the morning but in the meantime what should i do? Sorry for my bad english im not native
Can you get a picture with your bird's neck Extended?

She just looks scrunched up too me.
20210601_094944.jpg

Since you mentioned opening ber mouth, & extending her neck, makes me think she might have a Respiratory Illness, or may have something lodged in her throat.

Have you checked for a blockage?

View attachment 2731270

View attachment 2731270
IMG_20210623_182510.jpg

I really dont know how to extend her neck im afraid i might hurt her she naturally extended her neck once with her beak wide opened and thats when i saw it. She isnt scrunchdd up that much i know. This isnt much but heres a photo of her when she was normal but this photo is 1 month old. see the difference in their lower mouth area?

View attachment 2731300
I really dont know how to extend her neck im afraid i might hurt her she naturally extended her neck once with her beak wide opened and thats when i saw it. She isnt scrunchdd up that much i know. This isnt much but heres a photo of her when she was normal but this photo is 1 month old. see the difference in their lower mouth area?
There's not much of a difference in the lower mouth area that I can see, except for some wattle growth.

Could you have another person hold her, and then you could take a flash light and see if you could look in her throat.

Yes, Try to get a good look in her throat. You might be able to fish the thing back out. Look for something sticking out of her esophagus in the right side of her throat. That might save you a trip to the vet and a hefty surgical fee for cutting open her crop.

Do you have any idea what she could have swallowed? Chickens will swallow large objects, and they are not always food.

Could you have another person hold her, and then you could take a flash light and see if you could look in her throat.
Well i live alone but somehow its not bloated anymore its morning of the next day where i live and when i came her neck was fine like nothing ever happend and she was running around. Ill still go to the vet for a checkup but other than that it seems way better than yesterday

Yes, Try to get a good look in her throat. You might be able to fish the thing back out. Look for something sticking out of her esophagus in the right side of her throat. That might save you a trip to the vet and a hefty surgical fee for cutting open her crop.

Do you have any idea what she could have swallowed? Chickens will swallow large objects, and they are not always food.
Well i put wood shaving in their coop could she have eaten a lot of that? Maybe a small twig flew in cuz of the thunderstorm and she ate that?

Back
Top Bottom