1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP! Need ideas for Very small coop feeders and waterers!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by briter30, May 18, 2011.

1. briter30

briter30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    I am in a loss and am hoping you guys can help me. I have a very small chicken tractor that measures 3' wide, 3' high, and 8' long. It is triangular shape with a small nesting area on top / back of run (I woud post pics but I am new to sight and backyardchickens will not let me post pics until I have 10 posts). Anyway, as everyone mentions, the waterer and feeder are getting in the way and contaminated. I have looked at the hanging feeders/waterers but they seem to take up a lot of room that is needed in this small coop. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or PICS they could share of pvc pipe feeders or waterers or anything else that can be easily accessed from outside the run area (so I don't have to crawl inside the small tractor) and save me some space! Thanks.

2. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    A lot of people use the bottle waters (used for rabbits). I don't know about the feed though.

3. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I didn't know chickens could drink from bottle waterers. What a great idea!
    Stupid question coming....Couldn't they get their tongues caught? [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They peck at the ball in the end of the tube, and the water flows. No tongue involved.

Sudden attack of the giggles at the thought.

5. briter30

May 15, 2011
    Do yall know if they sell these rabbit bottles at Walmart?

6. Hope49_DH

Hope49_DH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Anaheim
    for our brooder, we used the threaded water nipples, and I mounted them in 20 oz soda bottles with a hole cut out of the bottom to allow for refilling. Would work with a 2 liter bottle also.

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Just bought 2 there the other day for my rabbits.

First Nature 32oz bottles are under $3

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:I use these in small coops too. Buckets in the bigger coops. I love those things. Always have clean water.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  9. briter30

May 15, 2011
    Do you know if the soda bottle can be placed at an angle? I have an A-frame chicken tractor?

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Put it on one of the ends, which are not angled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by