Please help not sure what's wrong Bumble foot? broken leg? Injuries from fighting/ predator attack?

lol, the swelling could be from the surgery
:hugs i would def continue the soaks and bandages

i understand about the financial
do you think maybe he is drinking more than normal?
is there any swelling in the other leg?

The swelling was pretty much there when we did the first surgery in which we really cut. The first time around we just used tweezers to remove the scabs.

No swelling at all in the other leg I can post pics today if anyone would like.

I also don't think he's drinking more than normal maybe less than he should be but he is also a small bird. He doesn't seem dehydrated that I've been able to tell and his poops have been normal with a good amount of urates. He did have a cecal poo last night while we were taking the pics ugh! Lol thankfully I had paper towels ready. He's the poopingest chicken I've ever seen I swear lol. Last night during his soak, bandage changes and pictures he pooed 4 or 5 times. I was very surprised.

No one has also given me any insight into the deeper brownish color of the blood we found in his foot during the last surgery. We only found the odd color in the bottom of his foot. Almost like old coagulated blood.

Could the swelling all be blood almost like a bruise? Also made me consider a broken leg because you do get a lot of swelling and bruising with breaks and the blood would technically be drawn down by gravity. Any thoughts on that anyone?

As I was reading from the beginning, I was leaning toward a break in the leg. After seeing the pics, I agree, the swelling kinda obscures whether a break is there or not.

But this may sound odd, but have you checked all the way up the leg? I'm wondering if there could be some type of strangulation?

Gosh I sure hope he gets better. He looks very loved and cared for.

Have you tried draining with syringe rather than lancing? This would be less traumatic to an already aggravated area and give a clearer picture of what is in the lump without the blood/drainage intrusion from area you're cutting. Plus inhibits spreading of any infection into possibly healthy tissue.

As I was reading from the beginning, I was leaning toward a break in the leg. After seeing the pics, I agree, the swelling kinda obscures whether a break is there or not.

But this may sound odd, but have you checked all the way up the leg? I'm wondering if there could be some type of strangulation?

Gosh I sure hope he gets better. He looks very loved and cared for.

Thank you yes I do love him. We love all our birds. Yes we have many but we love them all and do our best for them all. Our birds get care and feed and water before we do just like our dogs.

I have checked all the way up the leg and found nothing but I will check again today since silkie feathers can hide a lot.

So what I'm hearing is he may have a break but we don't really know bc the swelling is obscuring everything?

We did splint the leg last night should we leave it splinted or should we take that off today?

Brown in blood is indicative of infection. Old blood can also be brown in color. Was the blood thicker than normal, thinner, or like normal only brownish?

I would say thicker when we first cut into the foot pad and then it seemed more fresh normal blood mixed with it and it got thinner. Definitely thicker though to begin with.

Have you tried draining with syringe rather than lancing? This would be less traumatic to an already aggravated area and give a clearer picture of what is in the lump without the blood/drainage intrusion from area you're cutting. Plus inhibits spreading of any infection into possibly healthy tissue.

We discussed it but with so much swelling I had no idea where to stick. How do we know? Also if we stick the foot and nothing comes out what then?

Sounds like the Brown in blood is due to the infection. You would stick needle either in side of most raised spot and pull plunger to draw what's inside out. If there's a lump draw from side close to highest point. From the side of raised area allows you to get deeper to middle while still being able to see how far you're going as to not go past or thru the area. If you pull plunger with needle in the raised area and nothing comes out I would be very surprised. It should not be really hard to pull the plunger of syringe back unless it is in a solid mass. And if this is case you're dealing with a solid tumor or growth. If you pull out only blood this area has had trauma of some sort and if it's pus, pinky or yellow cottage cheese looking or a mixture of blood n the above these are all indicators of abscess or infection.

If you do this in foot I would draw from the area that looks very raised in front, going from the side into the deepest point of raised area and not where you cut the "bumble". You want to try to get an area you haven't cut into already as these areas will likely have blood n possible infection already throughout. You wanna make sure you're deep enough to be into the swollen area but not so deep your under it. Do the leg seem hard and hot to the touch or more puffy feeling? You could also try it in the area of lighter skin as this suggests blood flow restriction either from excessive swelling/infection or from tissue death. If it's swelling you should be able to at least release some sort of pressure by drawing fluid off that area.

Okay all update one our boy.

Tonight was his third penicillin shot. He's doing well with that.

However tonight on the back/left side of his neck we found yet another lesion spot infected area. Whatever you call it.

This one I did not need to part has feathers to see and it's almost certainly not been there before hand. It's the largest yet and I again ask for help guys.

Please this is like nothing I've ever seen. I'm afraid I'm losing my boy. He's still in good spirits and he's still eating and turns and walks around in his box a bit more with the splint. His foot seems a bit less swollen but I can't really decide.

My Grandpa was rushed to the hospital non-responsive from his assisted living where he lives due to his Alzheimer's disease.

We have not yet tried to drain the fluid from the bird's foot as I wanted to see if the penicillin helped as well as the family emergency which ensued.

My Grandpa has pneumonia and is being treated and is responding moreso to stimuli. He was moved just two days ago to this new assisted living so there has been a lot of family drama going on.

I have however been handling the bird multiple times a day and continuing to care for him. Including wound care and just general health checks. Again we just found the third lesion tonight. My wonder is based on the location of the injury it is almost the exact opposite of the wing wound. Does this point to an infected predator attack that we've just missed?

Photos below.

IMG_20171015_005410364.jpg

IMG_20171015_005414576.jpg

The above two photos show the wound and the approximate location which is on the neck/shoulder area. This one is quite raised and large.

Please guys any help would be appreciated. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

We will finish out the penicillin should we do 5 or 7 days?

Should we do surgery tomorrow one of these wounds? Should we leave them and let them heal(if they can or will)?

What is this? If this is Marek's why have I never seen any kind of feather follicle involvement remotely like this?

Back
Top Bottom