Please help, Pekin duck egg issues

smlpita

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Oceanside
I am at loss :-((
My female Pekin started laying her eggs around 4pm, out of her nest for 3 weeks! The eggs are either soft shelled or broken membrane only. No good hard eggs at all :-((
I have added calcium to her pellets, mealworms, egg noodles with peas. Twice a day.
The boy is attacking me silly everything I go near her or the eggs she's expelled.
Losing my ducky mind here! Any thoughts? Please

Can you get ahold of some Neocalglucon? It's a prescription from the vet, and I give it to ducks having a hard time with producing shells.

Or, for over-the-counter help, try a teaspoon of Calcium gluconate 23% solution per half cup of water. I add the water to the feed to be sure they get it.

With a drake around, you may want to keep him away to let her rest.

Is it really warm where you are? Zwei seems to have more trouble with calcium in the heat.

You could keep her indoors in a mild (not hot) place for a day or two to slow down her egg production till the calcium levels catch up, perhaps.

Last edited:
If you can do a Vet and get the stuff Amiga has told you about...do it! If not, you could try to give her a human calcium with vitamin D pill in water. I used a human chewable Calcium 500mgs with the D 400IU, crushed it, and added it to a small amount of water that she can drink in about 15 mins.. This may take 3 days to work and you can only do this once a day.

The feeds seem to be lacking this year. I am having a lot of 'rubber eggs' as well even though all of my girls have layer pellets as well as crushed oyster shell. I am currently treating them on a needs time frame. I am of the opinion that the tainted corn and soy in their feed is messing with the calcium absorption. I can't prove it but just my own opinion from dealing with my own and some of the side affects from aflatoxin exposure I've researched. As for the drake attacking you....you need to get that under control. he hasn't the right as you are 'Flock Master', not him. It was the hardest lesson I learned and the hardest taught to my ducks and geese. When "momma says" anything...they had better know it's the only way things are going to work. If you don't get a handle on it now, you are opening yourself up for a world of hurt later. Pekins can be real brats. I have 20 of them and know what you are going through. Mine had to learn that when I want to touch one of the ducks, the drakes had better back off and just keep their opinions to themselves. They've learned this and it's much safer for everyone involved. Here's a thread to check out...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

The premise is the same whether it is ducks or geese. Geese just have bigger wings and a bit more intelligence than the ducks. Actions are still the same. Make the drakes mind, period. It doesn't take all that long really, for them to get the idea and you'll be so much happier when you have to act on something like you are now. No criticizing, been there, done that....just learned lessons.

Back
Top Bottom