PLEASE HELP!! Sick Silkie chick!!

Broody Bist

Songster
May 7, 2018
PLEASE HELP!! :hit:hit:hit

My little blue silkie Ethel is sick!!!
She’s about a month and a week old, and she’s been perfectly healthy up to now. Always the first to the food bowl.

Today, I noticed a weird sound coming from the brooder. A high pitched peep I’d never heard out of any of my silkies, they are generally quiet. When I changed out the food and put new, I noticed Ethel waddled over to the food with her wings hanging down, like she was too hot. So I turned out the heat lamp for a little while.

Later, I heard the sound again. I’m not sure who it was, but when I went over to the brooder Ethel was laying underneath everyone else, at first I thought she was dead.
I lifted her, she didn’t even squirm or make a fuss (she’s one of my more skittish silkies, this was an immediate warning sign for me).

Please don’t tell me I’m a terrible chicken momma, I already feel terrible about this. When I lifted her, she weighed NOTHING. It was the equivalent to lifting a pile of feathers. I lifted the other chickens, there was an obvious weight difference. I feel terrible. Whenever I put the food in there they all swarm around it, I just automatically assumed she was eating as much as the others. Like I said, she’s always been a big eater. I feel awful :hitSchool’s been piling the work on, and I haven’t got to spend as much time with them as I would like. I should be watching them more.

I have her in my lap right now in a blanket. Still not showing any interest in water, but I did get her to eat a bit.

Also, I found this in the brooder after discovering Ethel was sick (pic attached). I don’t know who it came from, but I’m super worried, and I’m keeping a lookout.
Does anyone know what I should do? Should I keep Ethel separated from the others??
8EAB3560-B354-4B2D-842F-0D4A2392B78C.jpeg

Any help at all is appreciated, please please tag anyone if you think they can help. Thanks everyone :hit:fl

PLEASE HELP!! :hit:hit:hit

My little blue silkie Ethel is sick!!!
She’s about a month and a week old, and she’s been perfectly healthy up to now. Always the first to the food bowl.

Today, I noticed a weird sound coming from the brooder. A high pitched peep I’d never heard out of any of my silkies, they are generally quiet. When I changed out the food and put new, I noticed Ethel waddled over to the food with her wings hanging down, like she was too hot. So I turned out the heat lamp for a little while.

Later, I heard the sound again. I’m not sure who it was, but when I went over to the brooder Ethel was laying underneath everyone else, at first I thought she was dead.
I lifted her, she didn’t even squirm or make a fuss (she’s one of my more skittish silkies, this was an immediate warning sign for me).

Please don’t tell me I’m a terrible chicken momma, I already feel terrible about this. When I lifted her, she weighed NOTHING. It was the equivalent to lifting a pile of feathers. I lifted the other chickens, there was an obvious weight difference. I feel terrible. Whenever I put the food in there they all swarm around it, I just automatically assumed she was eating as much as the others. Like I said, she’s always been a big eater. I feel awful :hitSchool’s been piling the work on, and I haven’t got to spend as much time with them as I would like. I should be watching them more.

I have her in my lap right now in a blanket. Still not showing any interest in water, but I did get her to eat a bit.

Also, I found this in the brooder after discovering Ethel was sick (pic attached). I don’t know who it came from, but I’m super worried, and I’m keeping a lookout.
Does anyone know what I should do? Should I keep Ethel separated from the others??
View attachment 1679427

Any help at all is appreciated, please please tag anyone if you think they can help. Thanks everyone :hit:fl
You are not a terrible chicken momma. :hugs It’s hard to tell from the picture, but is that bloody waste? If so, sounds like she has coccidiosis, especially if she is underweight. Corid is one of the best courses of treatment for this particular sickness.

Can you get some Corid right away at your feed store? Get the liquid if you can to treat for coccidiosis. Give a couple of drops of the undiluted Corid into her beak now and again in the morning. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid in each gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all of your chicks. Keep your brooder clean and dry, and add fresh bedding often. I hope you can save your little one.

You are not a terrible chicken momma. :hugs It’s hard to tell from the picture, but is that bloody waste? If so, sounds like she has coccidiosis, especially if she is underweight. Corrid is one of the best courses of treatment for this particular sickness.
I’m not 100% sure if it’s bloody or just odd colored runny poop, but I’m going to look into the coccidiosis. Thank you

I’m not 100% sure if it’s bloody or just odd colored runny poop, but I’m going to look into the coccidiosis. Thank you
No problem. Stay up with the treatment and she will hopefully make it through. :hugs It also wouldn’t hurt to mix some chick starter with water and mash it up to try and get her interested in eating. Make sure she is drinking also.

I do recommend getting corid ASAP. Also maybe I missed this so forgive me if I did, but how old are your chickens and what is the exact temperature you keep this brooder at?

They are almost 2 months, I always keep the heat lamp on unless the sun is shining in, then I turn it off so they can get a little natural light. As soon as they start huddling or acting cold, I turn it back on though.

Back
Top Bottom