***PLEASE*** HELP!!! Very sick Jersey Giant Rooster!!!!

So far he's been on the antibiotics for 24 hours. I can definitely see an improvement!!! He clucked at me today (he hasnt made a vocalization jn over a week!) when I got home from work!!! I shed a tear! I was soooo
excited!!! He keeps trying to walk but is still very unstable at the moment. I think that maybe he has an ear infection? If that's possible? Maybe his equilibrium is off due to something of that nature. The vet said he's not entirely sure if chickens can get ear infections but he has seen them in parrots. Either way he said the oxycyline will knock it out hopefully. Thanks again to everyone for their words of wisdom and encouragement. I didn't want to give up on him and he obviously didn't want to give up either.

Oh one more thing I was giving him asprin and it seemed to help with his inflammation in his legs but I forgot to ask the doc if it was ok to give it with the antibiotics and he isn't in the office on Fridays
sad.png
so if anyone knows that would be great!!!

Chickens can get viral, bacterial and fungal infections w/in their ears.

Aspirin can be given w/ any antibiotics I've seen used w/in poultry.

So today I noticed that Batman's legs were flaking and peeling. Scaly leg mites? Dead skin from his feet being swelled to 2X the normal thickness? I need a seasoned chicken experts advice???

Either way I smothered with Vaseline. And he seemed to enjoy that lol.

Anybody?

This morning after a night of Vaseline it almost looks like a snake shedding skin so I'm hoping its safe to say that he is simply shedding his scales but I'm no expert...

I was thinking about giving him one of my bantie hens for companionship. The bantie girls always loved to snuggle with him on the ground. Do you guys think its safe? No other flock members have shown any signs of illness and its been a solid 3 weeks.

Batman is showing a steady improvement every day :) I put one of his favorite girls in with him and they seem to really enjoy snuggling and talking to each other all day :) His feet are definitely shedding a ton! But I think it's just shedding not mites.

Sorry, it's been clear/cold here for a few days, so I didn't see your rooster's signal (no clouds for the light to reflect from ~'-)

Vaseline, hens, 'n all ... good ... wouldn't be a bad idea to smear a little on all of 'em. Be careful not to over-treat, in that we tend to spoil the sick, which often does more harm than good ... the more 'normal' he's expected to be? The more 'normal' he will be. Limited excursions to the outdoors would probably do him some good as well, but I'd continue to return him to his cave each evening 'til later in the day.

Hope he continues his improvements ...

Back
Top Bottom