***PLEASE*** HELP!!! Very sick Jersey Giant Rooster!!!!

Update Batman is still stable. I spoke with several avian vets today and finally after a wild goose chase i found a vet who knows about chickens!!!!
wee.gif
I was so happy, i told him the whole story and he is going to prescribe him with tetracyclin (sp?) he told me not to even worry about bringing him in because his office is an hour away and he doesnt want me to stress him out even more. I am so happy!!! I also gave Batman some fluids/ asprin/ and electrolytes via a feeding tube. He is eating his crop was full today!
Hi, I've read the thread hoping to see a post that your rooster Batman was getting well. I've been having problems with my rooster also,
and have been giving him Tetracycline/Duramycin powder form in his water for about a week now. He is better, but also now has a sore
around the ear area, or may even be his ear, it's those little black feathers on the side of his face. I've been putting neosporin on it daily
and it seems to be hard and crusty. What doseage did the vet tell you to give Batman, and was it powder form that you had to mix up?
Also, what kind of mite dust did you get, what was the name of it? I have a Dominecker hen that has foot problems, her foot was red and
swelled, and she was limping when she walks, but mostly sits, then today I noticed the other foot is starting to turn a little red also, so
I'm sure it will start up too. I soaked her foot 1 time a couple of days ago, but haven't done it again because she has some kind of bugs
or something on her and I need to tackle that first. I don't know if they are mites or lice, they were not round like tick shape, they were
more long and were white or white/yellow looking. When I held her in my lap to soak her foot, they were on my shirt where she was sitting.
I also felt something crawling on my neck and head. I quickly stripped and poured alcohol over my head, don't know if this was wise or
not, but I did, then shampooed, then hot oil treatment, then shampoo again, then shower. I can't handle anything like that on me, freaks
me out. My hair is long, and I was afraid I would have to cut it all off. But I guess it worked cause I haven't felt or seem anything. Anyway
I need to do something for her. Just got her about a few days ago, they were rescues, and I don't know what she might have wrong. Please
let me know what you did for the legs and mites and doseage for infection. Thanks!

Hi, I've read the thread hoping to see a post that your rooster Batman was getting well. I've been having problems with my rooster also,
and have been giving him Tetracycline/Duramycin powder form in his water for about a week now. He is better, but also now has a sore
around the ear area, or may even be his ear, it's those little black feathers on the side of his face. I've been putting neosporin on it daily
and it seems to be hard and crusty. What doseage did the vet tell you to give Batman, and was it powder form that you had to mix up?
Also, what kind of mite dust did you get, what was the name of it? I have a Dominecker hen that has foot problems, her foot was red and
swelled, and she was limping when she walks, but mostly sits, then today I noticed the other foot is starting to turn a little red also, so
I'm sure it will start up too. I soaked her foot 1 time a couple of days ago, but haven't done it again because she has some kind of bugs
or something on her and I need to tackle that first. I don't know if they are mites or lice, they were not round like tick shape, they were
more long and were white or white/yellow looking.
When I held her in my lap to soak her foot, they were on my shirt where she was sitting.
I also felt something crawling on my neck and head. I quickly stripped and poured alcohol over my head, don't know if this was wise or
not, but I did, then shampooed, then hot oil treatment, then shampoo again, then shower. I can't handle anything like that on me, freaks
me out.
My hair is long, and I was afraid I would have to cut it all off. But I guess it worked cause I haven't felt or seem anything. Anyway
I need to do something for her. Just got her about a few days ago, they were rescues, and I don't know what she might have wrong. Please
let me know what you did for the legs and mites and doseage for infection. Thanks!
The Vet Prescribed him with Oxycycline it is in 100 mg pill form. The vet told me to administed the medication directly and not put it in his water so he can get exactky the amount he is supposed to. I would suggest using a feeding syringe/ tube to adminiter the medication directly into his crop its very simple but you have to make sure you get the tube in his esophogus, not his trachea (airway) there are many diagrams of this available on line.

Those sound like lice to me. I bought poultry and garden dust at TSC. It worked like a charm instantly killed the buggers!

Don't worry these dont bother humans! They eat dead skin & feather shafts. Almost all birds have a few but when an unhealthy chicken isn't able to preen it's feathers they can get out of hand quickly.

I've learned a lot throughout this whole experience. Thanks to some good help from cowcreekgeek and casportpony!!!

Batman has 3 more days of medication and I feel like I should see more improvement than I have. He is getting better but not making leaps and bounds like I guess I expected
sad.png
. With that being said he fights me everytime I have to pill him so thats a good sign. He eats and drinks a lot and has gained weight!
celebrate.gif
I just love him a lot and I hope he is back to his old self come spring time because his girls are all squatting for us, and my mother in- law thinks it's because they want to be pet... I dont have the heart to tell he the truth!
tongue.png

Here's Batman! This was taken over the summer. You can see that all of his feathers were new growth. When we got him he was practically bald!

Looking back and reading more about it. I think his feet have been severely frost bitten. He is doing really well. His last dies of Meda was given yesterday. He is still hanging his head down every once in a while, but he east well and drinks well. He also keeps trying to walk around.

Looking back and reading more about it. I think his feet have been severely frost bitten. He is doing really well. His last dies of Meda was given yesterday. He is still hanging his head down every once in a while, but he east well and drinks well. He also keeps trying to walk around.

Not sure on the milk v. antibiotics, 'cause it's gonna continue to work w/in him for a while unless interrupted. Also, it'd be worth checkin' to be sure there's nothin' Batman can get from the goats (esp. any protozoa via the unpasteurized milk ~'-)

But, let's presume all that is fine, and that the medicines did all they can, 'cause that's all you can really do when it comes to any of that.

Now, it's time to begin to rebuild. Be sure he gets plenty of nutrition, but w/o feedin' too much of anything that might do him any harm. And, then? He needs fresh air and sunlight, along w/ exercise, and interaction w/ the flock ... they're extrememly social and, although I've no clinical proof? It only stands to good reason that membership is what drives 'em to be as strong/healthy as they, themselves, can have any affect upon; that will plays an important role in recovery.

And, with that? You can take a bow, for havin' done all you can for your Batman, Robin ~'-)

Well it's been over a month and Batman is still on the slow road to recovery. We had already planned to keep him in the garage until spring.mthe tips of his toes have been falling offline by one, and he seems to stand more comfortably now. I hardly ever catch him in his odd head hanging position. I can't wait until spring when he can run around outside!!!

Back
Top Bottom